Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my projector - Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 720 (720p, 1600 lumens, 10,000:1) set up in my living room for the occasional move or sports event. I a currently shooting 17ft to a 92" pull down screen. There is nothing projector friendly about the room - sandstone colored walls, white ceiling that vaults from 8 to 10 ft on the screen wall and dog kennels under the screen. None of that is going to change (so says the wife). The only saving grace is that I have blinds in the sliding doors and black out curtains over the doors. Between them, they make the room very dark even on the brightest days. I want to go to a larger screen -110 or 120" as I have room for either size. I like the idea of hiding in wall speakers behind the screen (or at least the center as it would have to go above the screen if I don't go the A/T route), but picture quality is more important. Here are some pictures to show what I'm dealing with. The pictures were all taken at noon on a sunny day except the screen wall pic - it was taken at night. Any ideas you all have will be most appreciated. Also, the pictures look really bad, I had to use my old phone as my wife had my good phone and I had no batteries for the camera.

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
What mode of the PJ are you using? That PJ in a test at Projector Central ranged from 1453 lumens in Dynamic mode down to 331 lumens in Theater Black 2 mode.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now it is in Dynamic. I found some calibration settings online for the Dynamic mode. It looks pretty good in person, and my wife prefers the brighter picture. We are just looking to go to a larger screen if possible.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
A 120" screen would give you ~33.8 fL in image brightness. This is almost twice the maximum brightness recommended for a home theater, but if you aren't getting headaches or eye strain then that's fine. As a comparison you current 92" screen (which I assume is white) would have an image of 58 fL.

If your wife demands that kind of image brightness then you would have to paint a screen. A DIY AT screen using Spandex (white on front and black on the rear) would probably be too dark for her since it would perform like an N8 painted gray screen.

For a painted screen, you could use our Cream&Sugar™ Ultra mix (which has a gain of 1.0) or to get even more gain (1.3 I think) you could use Glidden Professional Diamond 450. This is NOT the Glidden sold by Home Depot or Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I should have her watch some things using different modes. We had a 96" screen that I painted with Behr Silver Screen using an Optoma HD66 (2500 lumens) @ about 13ft throw and she liked the image a lot. I'm leaning toward a 110" screen. I think it will look better on the wall - more balanced if you will.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi jwh,

I'm still a newbie but I have a set-up quite similar to yours (white walls, super tall ceilings, and windows on two sides of the room). My screen is a 98' 16.6 made from PVC board glued to a wood frame, You'll probably want to go the AT rout like Harp suggested, but you'll definitely notice a difference in the image contrast if you go with a grey screen. I recently painted my screen a darker neutral grey (BW ultra formula) and was blown away by the boost in perceived contrast with the grey screen up against the white walls. I don't use a boarder (i wanted an edge-less 'floating' look) and even with the heavy amounts of ambient light I have the image is watchable in all but direct sunlight and when the sun goes down it's brilliant. Long post short, don't shy away from grey. It doesn't have to be dark, any contrast with those light walls will help, at least it did for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your advice. I'm still using the pull down screen, but I did mount some in wall speakers. I set them out side the area of the screen so I don't have the AT option unless I go very big. I work with laminate every day and I have a 3 or 4 sheets of various whites that are extras. I'm going to build a frame, overlay it with 1/4" luan and glue a sheet to it. I'll end up with a 98" screen that I will paint. I know that there are better substrates for painting, but free trumps them. I did this a couple of years ago using Behr Silver Screen and the picture looked great. In fact, when I moved, I gave the screen to a friend and he uses it with an Optoma Pro150s (2800 lumens, 2800:1) and he loves it. I probably won't use the Silver Screen again, but a simple grey. Thanks again,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts