Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello HTS!

I recently moved to Florida and gave up my basement theater that I had in Kentcuky. Tired of seeing the projector setting in it's box I decided to put it up in my non-light controlled, limited projector placement having family room.

I'm looking for some help in determining/designing a DIY screen frame. The screen will sit directly in front of the TV when in use. I've been brainstorming of some type of rollup/foldup removable screen or a fold down frame that sits above the tv when closed and stretches the screen material as it's unfolded. With this being said, I have limited experience with DIY screens (my last screen was stretched canvas on a wood frame primed flat white), I don't know if paint will crack if rolled/folded, and God knows what else i don't konw i'm ignorant about.

If anyone can give me some tips/ideas/whatever I would be very appreciative.

What I have;
Optoma HD70
125" 16:9 Screen (bigger then i'm happy with for the projector, as small as I can zoom)
I'll need 6" of clearance from the wall to clear the TV.

Thanks !

This is where the location:

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Hi, welcome to HTS! :wave:

First thing is forget about folding a screen, it just won't work. People that have purchased folded fabrics to turn into fixed screens have had problems getting the creases out of the material in order to paint it. Folding a painted fabric is just asking for trouble.

In your situation the easiest and less expensive solution might just be a commercial retractable screen.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the welcome!
I'm on a tight budget and the only thing premade I can find at this point is a manual elite in the size i'm looking for. Suppose I'll go visit the manufactured forum to see what i can come up with :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going projector only, so screen problem solved with painted stretched canvas ;)

Time to start looking for a light cannon and curtains

·
Registered
68 Posts
You don't necessarily need to get rid of the TV, just need to find a way to move it out of the way to watch something on the fixed projector screen.

This is the same problem I am facing and I will eventually build/buy a TV cabinet with lift, like the ones you can get for the end of your bed. I will be able to hide the TV away, getting it out of the way of the projected light.

I can only see going to the projector as a TV replacement when LED light engines become brighter and affordable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can tell you I'm burning through bulb hours like it's going out of style, and it's terrible during the day, but apparently I'm a bit of a video masochist.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You don't necessarily need to get rid of the TV, just need to find a way to move it out of the way to watch something on the fixed projector screen.

This is the same problem I am facing and I will eventually build/buy a TV cabinet with lift, like the ones you can get for the end of your bed. I will be able to hide the TV away, getting it out of the way of the projected light.

I can only see going to the projector as a TV replacement when LED light engines become brighter and affordable.
Some people just like having a big screen. For me, the cost was secondary to having the big screen experience for everything. Fortunately I used a CRT. I personally think there are a lot of TV programs that are better than the movies coming out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts