Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys:bigsmile:

Names Andy and in college now -------> smaller budget.

I started gettin into subwoofers and such this past year when I had the extra free time off work this summer. This economy. I got a Kenwood car sub and using WinISD put together a ported box for it.

Boy did I mess up haha! The box is way too big for this little 500rms 12".

I just worked out the specs as I had forgotten them. 6.4cuft without driver with two 3" wide 8" long circular ports (56.5 cu.in. of port"-age"). I was powering it with a Dayton 240w no bass boost. (where another problem enters later on).

I have a Mac so I can't run WinISD, Unibox, or any of the other programs easily....requiring trips to school comps.

After scouring this forum and AVS, I realized I probably need to run a 15" to get the most out of this box and my mini theater in the basement. I've been looking at the Dayton Titanic MKIII 15" as from the sounds of it should do well in this box.

First question: I've heard others mentioned but for around $200 what would be a solid, efficient driver for music/movies 50/50 tuned well (25-30Hz) for a 6.4 cuft box?

Second question: I plugged a little Alpine Type R 10" (sealed box) into the dayton 240 yesterday and after 5 minutes of full on playing a red light came on and has not come off. I couldn't find anything online or in the manual about it. Ideas?

Third question: A buddy of mine wants a little "bump" in his frat room which is small. He wants to do this as cheap as possible. Already has a 5.1 system but no subwoofer. I was thinking a sealed box 8" or 10" but was clueless as to a suitable amp (or could his receiver power it well enough).

I've learned a lot just reading around the FAQ's and previous build threads.

You guys do great work and looking forward to some feedback. Thanks!

AB

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Welcome Andy! First things first.Two 3" wide 8" long circular ports are 14 cu. in. of port area, not 56.5 cu. in.

The Dayton Titanic MKIII 15" will work although port air speed can be an issue at 34 m/s. If at all possible add 5" in length to each port, this would lower the tuning to 20 hz and the air speed drops to 26 m/s.

AS for the amp problem, check the connections. I'm not familiar withe the Dayton amp but most times a red light on a plate amp mean it's not getting a signal. Try another sub if possible to see if the amp still works.

Your friends receiver won't power a subwoofer. The sub out connection is a low level signal meant as an input signal for an amplifier. "Cheap as possible" means different things to different people. Finding out what his maximum budget is would help in making any recommendation.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright thanks for the math correction. That port issue should be solved pretty easily!

Well sweet I guess this gives me a good base to work off of.

Thanks Mike!

Anyone have a solid article on Thiele parameters?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts