Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so new to setting this HTPC up, I'm not sure what even to ask, so here's what I have and what I want to do.

I want to:

-use J river to organize my music and movies from my couch upstairs
-use my existing PC (win 7) and 2 TB HD that is downstairs
-use my Onkyo 818 as the AVR upstairs
-use my 60" LED upstairs to view the J river HT View panel and watch movies from the couch
-use a single universal remote (such as a Harmony) to control everything (J River,Onkyo 818, BD player,cable box,future additions)
-have it easy enough for my wife and 9 y/o daughter to toggle between Netflix, BD, cable, music from the HD, Pandora, etc. from the single remote

I can leave the PC on all the time, A/V rack is directly above the PC downstairs with 9' wire distance. What do I need to buy? How does it all connect?

Thanks!
Doug

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
It would simplify matters greatly to move your PC upstairs with the rest of the equipment....otherwise your looking at buying a media player that could stream wirelessly to your system upstairs...and that gets pretty dicey if you dont have some very nice wifi gear.... are there any CAT5 wires from your PC in to attic that could be used to go directly to the TV ?

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
To the OP: RTS100X5 is correct, you will either need to hardwire some cat5 or have some serious wireless in your home. You can set up you PC as a DLNA server via JRiver. I'm currently doing that - however, I'm hard wired in via Cat 5. Music over wireless is easy enough (I can send that to my phone or any other wireless device in my home), but movies, Netflix and the like are another issue and that issue is bandwidth. You don't want your Netflix movies to stall because of limited bandwidth.

As far as control goes - you can use Gizmo to set up an android device as a remote - or you can use JRemote with an iOS device. It's simple enough to do.

What type of router are you using in your setup?

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I currently have the PC downstairs hardwired with cat5 to the router upstairs in the a/v cabinet, which also houses the router. I have the 2Wire 3800HGV-B router supplied by AT&T Uverse, and a TrendNet Gigabit switch. I have J River running through DNLA on the Onkyo, but it will not push video or images. I have also connected to Gizmo through my iPhone to control audio, but I still want to get the awesome Theater view capability on the main LED screen, which is a Vizeo E-series smart TV. A friend suggested a media player such as WD-TV.

Running extra wires is easy for my setup. I am starting to remodel the room next week, so I want to make sure I get enough wire placed before the walls go on.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Subscribed Doug - looks like you are going to beat me to this!
Ours are a little different, so I didn't want to keep highjacking your project! I really like the J River interface, now if I can just get it to show up on the TV... I want to avoid having to buy an Oppo so I can build a new LCR.

Costco has a Harmony 700 for $80 right now, so I'm hoping I can get that to run everything with a USB IR set to the PC.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I currently have the PC downstairs hardwired with cat5 to the router upstairs in the a/v cabinet, which also houses the router. I have the 2Wire 3800HGV-B router supplied by AT&T Uverse, and a TrendNet Gigabit switch. I have J River running through DNLA on the Onkyo, but it will not push video or images. I have also connected to Gizmo through my iPhone to control audio, but I still want to get the awesome Theater view capability on the main LED screen, which is a Vizeo E-series smart TV. A friend suggested a media player such as WD-TV.

Running extra wires is easy for my setup. I am starting to remodel the room next week, so I want to make sure I get enough wire placed before the walls go on.
If I'm hearing you correctly, you want the Theaterview interface upstairs. I'm not sure if that's possible without another pc.:dontknow:

You should be able to access you media though. You sould see the onkyo as a place that you can play to. If not, using a WDhd device, Roku, or similar device will allow you to use your media (sans Theaterview).

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I want the theater view upstairs most of all. I wouldn't think there is much difference having the htpc hidden in a closet vs being directly under. Wouldn't both be controlled using ir or rf? I'm not dead set on J River either if there is another product that gets me there easier.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
JRiver is the easiest!!! I'd run an HDMI cable up to your onkyo - have the HTPC as a source (since it's on all-day), configure it to boot into Theaterview from startup. You wouldn't even need the network cable because now it would be a source on your AVR. (now if you want to go out to multiple devices like a laptop, tablet, phone or another computer then you will need a bit more in design)...but if all you want to do is go upstairs, that's it! PM me with a diagram of everything you want to do. :cool::D

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JRiver is the easiest!!! I'd run an HDMI cable up to your onkyo - have the HTPC as a source (since it's on all-day), configure it to boot into Theaterview from startup. You wouldn't even need the network cable because now it would be a source on your AVR. (now if you want to go out to multiple devices like a laptop, tablet, phone or another computer then you will need a bit more in design)...but if all you want to do is go upstairs, that's it! PM me with a diagram of everything you want to do. :cool::D
I tried running the HDMI cable from the PC to the Onkyo's HDMI PC input, I'm just getting a blue screen on the TV when PC is selected as source when in Theaterview, or anything other than DNLA, which just shows the generic screen for audio (same as connecting a USB HD). Is there more detailed configuration at the PC or in J River?

Thanks!!

-- this thread has links to a IR to RF extender that would allow me to use IR keyboard with the PC

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Yes, you should configure your JRiver product to bitstream (it's configured not to bitstream by default). Depending on which version of JRiver you have - it may be in the the video or audio portion of the options menu. You have the HDMI cable from the pc going to input 6 on the Onkyo. You also have the output of the Onkyo going to the HDMI in of the TV right? (I'm not trying to berate you at all - just trouble shooting :) ). If you still have a blue screen - check the input of the TV (make sure it's on the correct hdmi input).

Also are you seeing the Windows 7 screen upon startup? After you start Windows, then enter JRiver - if you still have video - good. After that - enter Theaterview, if it bluescreens only on Theaterview, we have a different problem. I want to make sure though - that you're getting a signal to your Onkyo and to your TV before we dig further. Hit me back if you can't or can see the Windows 7 desktop on your TV upstairs. We'll go from there.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
FYI, I'm decent at this ;). My entire rig consist of my HTPC connected to my amps (Adcom GFA 5503, Yamaha MX-830 [X2], and a Behringer EP4000 powering my subs). I have the output of my HTPC going to projector, and a 50 inch monitor. I can also watch prerecorded shows and digital downloads in my bedrooms via my HTPC and a gigabyte LAN. I can also stream my music via WAN (wi-fi), so stick with me - we'll work this out! :yes:

(Speakers in my rig are Klipsch Cornwalls L/R, Klipsch Heresy C, Def Tech BP1 & BP2 [side and rear surrounds - BP1's also have passive DCM subs] Sub woofers are Wharfedale SW-380's modified [using and external amp and HTPC serves as the crossover])

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't feel berated all! I am eager to learn and thankful for your help getting this set up. I am still at work, but finally get home tomorrow morning to dig in to this. My friend is bringing over his Oppo 103 tomorrow also for me to try in my system. I have a feeling that it's going to be a bad idea since I will want to have my own Oppo soon.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
I don't feel berated all! I am eager to learn and thankful for your help getting this set up. I am still at work, but finally get home tomorrow morning to dig in to this. My friend is bringing over his Oppo 103 tomorrow also for me to try in my system. I have a feeling that it's going to be a bad idea since I will want to have my own Oppo soon.
Yup - baaaaad idea... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, I changed to bitstream and still no connection. I have an ATI graphics card driver that thinks that the HDMI cable is not plugged in, which it is. This was found from a right click to the sound icon at the bottom right of the screen to enable the output device to ATI HDMI output. It says that the driver is up to date and functional.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
P.S. is your ATI graphics card onboard or is it a separate card? Also, how are you viewing this - on a secondary monitor or on your TV? Are you outputing dual HDMI or do you have your VGA and HDMI connections hooked up simo?

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
If you are running 2 monitors (regular monitor and your TV) your ATI driver may not be set to clone monitors. You will see a picture on whatever monitor is labeled monitor 1 - you must enable clone to output to both monitors. Also I hope they are both capable of 1920x1080 resolutions. :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts