Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i am currently building my first home theater subwoofer, it is going to consist of a 15" dayton High Fidelity driver with an O Audio 500 watt amp, the inter box demensions are 24" high x 19" wide x 43" long, it rounds out to about 11.1 ft3, the tune would be around 17hz. the ports i am planning on using are two 6" presicino ports, at some 22" long each, and i'm wondering how wide they actually are with the flare? what is the diameter of the total flare?

Any recomendations would be great, with the setup i have designed using winisd would the amp over power the sub and make it over excurde? i couldn't really figure out how to determine if i will have any problems with my current setup? and will i really be able to experience sub 20hz bass with this?

Also i seen an svs subwoofer with a very large roundover on the 4 sides and it looks really good, wondering if anyone could tell me how to accomplish this or if it's even possible with one sheet of mdf butted up againt another as that is how i am gluing the box together?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, sorry for the confusion, it seems like a great driver for the price, the only downfall being the limited xmax...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay, thanks. now will i still be able to experience sub 20hz bass with any real output, with room gain considered?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
room is 12ft wide x 20ft wide, with 8ft ceiling, and yes very open to the rest of the upstairs, although there is a long hallway to a closed room and a stair way leading to the rest of the house...so a very large room.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you very much, i should be finishing up the box when the rest of my parts arrive, now i do have another question, and that is if i am using the O audio 500 watt amp what it the best possible subwoofer i could build with it for power? and there is no box size constrictions, just no sonotubes because i'm not fan of the way they look.....so i guess the question is what is the best possible dirver i could buy and power it with 500 watts? the ultimate subwoofer....?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
i should be finishing up the box when the rest of my parts arrive
Pics of the build process would be nice.

what is the best possible dirver i could buy and power it with 500 watts?
If by best you mean low end output then the IXL-18 would be a good candidate as it would allow you to use the 16 hz HPF setting on the O Audio amp.

View attachment 20642

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
If you want to have a round edge the best way to do it is to rabbet the edges and use quarter round.

Basically for 3/4" material you rabbet off 1/4" off both pieces and it leaves space for 1/4" quarter round.

If you want to get even more rounded edges. You can get some curved plywood from tapease.com You'll need to edge join with dowels, biscuits, or tenons.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
okay so i have a questionl, what if in my 10.6 cubic foot box i used a 17" long 6" diameter port instead of the 21 inches, because if i have to make it longer i'm not sure i'll be able to do it nicely, when i used winisd with a 17" long port it changed the tuning frequency to almost 18hz, with that be okay?

G

·
0 Posts
I'm kind of in the planning stages for building a larger sub later this year. I've built a few in the past, but never anything large.

Anyway, I was thinking of making the front baffle 1.5" Double up that .75" MDF. The reason being to make sure I have a very sturdy front baffle, especially when taking material away using rounding bits.

Ideals, thoughts?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'm kind of in the planning stages for building a larger sub later this year. I've built a few in the past, but never anything large.

Anyway, I was thinking of making the front baffle 1.5" Double up that .75" MDF. The reason being to make sure I have a very sturdy front baffle, especially when taking material away using rounding bits.

Ideals, thoughts?
Sure, a double front thickness is SOP for many of us, partly for the reason you mentioned, and partly because flush mounting some drivers requires a very thick baffle. My AE and Exodus drivers require about 17mm of recess to be flush. With subs this makes no difference to performance, but some prefer the look.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
okay so i have a questionl, what if in my 10.6 cubic foot box i used a 17" long 6" diameter port instead of the 21 inches, because if i have to make it longer i'm not sure i'll be able to do it nicely, when i used winisd with a 17" long port it changed the tuning frequency to almost 18hz, with that be okay?
A 18 hz tuning will be fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts