Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
haha well im tryn to go the diy route for a sub, prob is i dont have a ton of $$$ and i am not upgrading to pro amps cause i just bought the onkyo ht rc-160 like 1.5 months ago. so im here beggin for help my budget is 1-500 tops for woofer/plate amp less would be better of course. my room is 10x10.5 so its small and not well shaped :crying: but its all ive got. my set up is :

AVR- onkyo ht rc160
fronts- polk tsi 200
backs- polk tsi 100
center- polk cs10

i mostly use my system for games/movies rarely music but would still like to sound decent on the rare music time at least. im tryn to go as low and loud as possible i can live with a pretty good sized box up to :

48" tall x 20"wide x 30" deep

now i was gonna pick up a CCS sd12 kit but they dont have many left according to the site and once they gone, they gone... and i wont have the cash for at least a month. i wouldnt mind peiceing something togethere but i dont know how to sodder and im not tryn to learn while messing with a 200+ item so the amp has to work with whatever woofer i get without me having to try to add a high/low pass filters. ive already got a few sheets of 3/4" mdf just sitting here begging for me to cut them up! :bigsmile:

so i ask you oh sub gurus hook me up with a good design at a great price :praying:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
so would the shiva in 27x20x27 with 2 front ports with the PE 500Watt need any soddering done? also on avs it doesnt list the size of the ports ? also has anyone ever build a kappa perfect with a plate amp? ive seen lots of plans for those so seems like would be a bit easier but havent seen one with plate amp yet

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so i been playn with bassbox 6 pro came up with these #s
box size - 30x20x25 = 6.942cu ft
111.3 db @ 20.16hz
fb - 19.6+7hz
f3 - 20.01
cd 12.5mm @ 20.16hz
using typical fill now im not exactly sure what that means anyone know the actual weight of polyfil i would need for that?
would that give me room shaking bass? how would this hold up with HT namely movies and games?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
The wieght of poly is on the bag when you buy it. It is 1lb of fill for each cubic foot of the box. Your room is small so I would think it would give you plenty of shake,rattle,and roll.....:yes:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I did a shiva x in a 4.3 cube enclosure on that O-Audio plate amp. That thing was just savage for a single 12". Plus, it looked like it was a giant column of doom! I built it initially to prove I could but I ended up finishing it nicely for a friend as a wedding gift.

It's the large tall thing in the corner. I used 12" PVC for the column and a variety of things for the base. I ended up painting it black like you see in the last picture. It's a downfiring sub with the 4" port out the top.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Looks great, what a monster.:hsd:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts