Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
First of all Welcome to the forum ...:wave:

.... i really don't want to go over lets say 600.... but cheaper is even better
You have two options with that budget:

1) Get an HTIB it will be the easy way to upgrade everything (AVR, seven speakers and a sub, you'll have two subs :yes:), the Onkyo S5100 is a good starting system, better than most HTIB's ...if you decide to upgrade the speakers in the future, you can do it; not like some HTIB that you need to replace everything.

2) Start piecing together your system. In this case start with an AVR (again Onkyo, Yamaha, Pionner, etc.) and maybe a pair of speakers for the front; you can also get good deals on refurbished or used equipment and speakers :yes:

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
My 47 inch LCD has 3 HDMI ports on it.
So I have my HD Cable box, my bluray player and my media pc plugged into the 3 hdmi ports on my TV. The TV has one digital coax out which I plugged into the receiver.
Just remember, if you use optical/coax cable you wont be able to hear True HD, DTS HD, DTS MA, etc. ...for that you need to use HDMI :yes:.

my JBL monitors are the two way Venue series monitors. They sound pretty good. I would still like to replace my center channel and rears... I've heard that the LC1's and LC2's are pretty good center channel speakers So I might look for one of those.
I think my venue series speakers are discontinued I don't see them at best buy anymore where I got them and I don't even see them on JBL's website.
I have some Venue series too ...mine are the Stadium (see my avatar :whistling:), I also have the Voice (center) that I'm not using anymore and is stored; and you're right ...they discontinued that series, but you can still find some on ebay. I don't know if the combination of Monitors and LC1/LC2 will work, I know that for Stadium and Stage they're okay because they're three ways ...but you can try (if you can get three LC1/LC2 for the front will be excellent :bigsmile:)

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
so what your saying is, since my monitors are only 2 way that I can't use a 3 way center? and I should just get the voice center?
No, what I'm saying is that probably they won't be a good match for that reason (2 way vs 3 way).

That's the reason most of us changed the Venue Voice (2 way) to a different center speaker (I'm using SCenter II that is a 3 way) to complement the Stadiums in the front, but you can try it and maybe you'll like the results.

I have still been contemplating just replacing my speakers with one of those sound bars. Polk audio has a 42 inch one on newegg.com and its like $280 bucks.
I have a 3 month old and soon she will be climbing on everything, so I may have to rethink my setup.
Also, I thought about putting my monitors on shelves on the wall... that will get them away from a toddler
Sound bars are nice, but what I don't like is their frequency response ...I think you'll be better using the speakers wall mounted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts