Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I have been reading about the Ultimax and Ref subs from Dayton and it seems that the lf extension on quite a few of them is really good. I really want to be able to reproduce 20Hz easilly.

However, typically, 18" and even some 15" woofer aren't as musical sounding as let's say a 12". This depends a lot of brand and how the drivers are made though. SO my question is - does the Dayton Ultimax/Ref series have one or the other focusing on sound quality? And will the size of these drivers affect the sound quality? I would rather build multiple 12" subs than one 18" for example. What is your opinions on sound quality?

Regards,
David

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,377 Posts
If a significant amount of output is required at 20Hz you'll need to be cautious with 12" options. The alignment, amp and driver choice will have to be spot-on to ensure you aren't pushing it into distortion. Unless you plan on building multiples you should really consider larger drivers. Remember, a sub can only play so low. Once it reaches that limit even a dozen of them will not make any impact on your frequency response. Total output, yes, but not depth.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right, so is there a 12" that will work for this or will a 15" or 18" be way better to keep distortion to a minimum?

Regards,
David

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,377 Posts
You haven't supplied enough information for anyone to really answer that I'm afraid. What alignment and amp are you considering? How large is your room (HxWxD)? What will be the primary use? How high will you need to set the HPF? What kind of mains do you have? All of it needs to be taken as a whole.

I prefer subwoofers classified as 'musical' myself but that's not what I use one for most of the time, so different things can be derived when using a term like that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You haven't supplied enough information for anyone to really answer that I'm afraid. What alignment and amp are you considering? How large is your room (HxWxD)? What will be the primary use? How high will you need to set the HPF? What kind of mains do you have? All of it needs to be taken as a whole.

I prefer subwoofers classified as 'musical' myself but that's not what I use one for most of the time, so different things can be derived when using a term like that.
I am considering a ported cabinet for more efficiency down low. Right now I have three Klipsch Synergy F-10 speakers for L C R. I have two Optimus Pro LX-7 for rear. I have an Elite VX-42. The subwoofer is using the Dayton SA 1000. The room is about 18x20. The whole kitchen is open along with it in a rectangle extending another 25'. Ceiling is 9ft. High. Typically when we watch a movie our listening levels reach about 80dBA at the couch which is about 15ft away. My meter doesn't read C or flat.

For a high pass, my amplifier has an 18Hz or off. I like to low pass the subwoofer around 80Hz at 24dB/oct.

I want this subwoofer for watching Blue Rays, DVDs, and music. I listen to all types of music. I really want the subwoofer to have great sound quality and dynamics for orchestral listening. Then everything else will sound good as well. Think of a mixing theater room. That's the kind of sound I would love even though not possible in my house.

Regards,
David

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The challenge with your space is simply size, you have to consider every room that is open to your living room as part of the space when considering how much the sub has to pressurize.
How much do you have to spend on this build?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The challenge with your space is simply size, you have to consider every room that is open to your living room as part of the space when considering how much the sub has to pressurize.
How much do you have to spend on this build?
I see. That makes sense because right now the sub I am using outputs around 119dB at rms power (calculated) starting around 36 or so Hz. I don't want to go less on output because I actually need that much in this room. Back when we were in the apartment, the Klispch speakers had enough output down to about 38 that we didn't need a sub.

So am I looking at two subs right off the bat?

How much to spend? Well I considered the Danley DTS-10 (the long skinny sub). I will save up if need be, but I like building subs and have done so since I was a child.

Regards,
David

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
As you go deeper you need more power and more sub. Two is going to be better than one but as mentioned you can have as many as you want but if they dont handle going below 20Hz you wont get any deeper than that no matter how many you have. There is no substitute for displacement when it comes to deep bass

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,377 Posts
How much to spend? Well I considered the Danley DTS-10 (the long skinny sub). I will save up if need be, but I like building subs and have done so since I was a child.
If you enjoy building subs you might want to check out DIY Sound Group. They have flat packs that take a lot of the guess work out of DIY. In particular, check out the LAB15 kit. That's an excellent driver with good SQ. A pair of those would be a nice setup.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you enjoy building subs you might want to check out DIY Sound Group. They have flat packs that take a lot of the guess work out of DIY. In particular, check out the LAB15 kit. That's an excellent driver with good SQ. A pair of those would be a nice setup.
That's cool! I haven't checked out the LAB 15 in a long time. Need to refresh myself. Thanks for the info.

Regards,
David

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It really looks like the Ultimax 18" will be my sub after playing with it in WinISD. It looks like one will be plenty loud enough for peaks with no problem with my 950W @ 4 ohms going into it. With the Lab 15 or the 15" Ultimax I would need two to start with based on what I am seeing with output and excursion at 30Hz area.

Regards,
David

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Ultimax subs work well with the .8Q 2nd order high pass at 18Hz built into my sub amp as well.

Regards,
David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts