Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
previously i only use my receiver's internal generated noise signal to set up each channel speaker's level (75DB),
now i am going to have "start from zero" project to adjust my HT system(including measurements and all necessary adjustments).

before doing all these, i firstly will set up right level for each channel speaker, and this time i'm gonna use
REW to do this.

so i'd like to ask what'll be the most suitable signal type i shall choose in REW signal generator?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Re: need suggestion for suitable signal to blance each channel speaker level

How many speakers are you going to be leveling? The tone generator will send to the left and right channels of your sound card, but if you are trying to level a 5.1 or 7.1 then you may be having to do more work adjusting than can be done via your receiver. Is there a reason you don't want to or can't use the reciever for the volume leveling?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: need suggestion for suitable signal to blance each channel speaker level

How many speakers are you going to be leveling? The tone generator will send to the left and right channels of your sound card, but if you are trying to level a 5.1 or 7.1 then you may be having to do more work adjusting than can be done via your receiver. Is there a reason you don't want to or can't use the reciever for the volume leveling?
what i am gonna to is to switch output cable from my soundcard's right out through each Analog 7.1 input of my receiver. and then let REW to generate the signal.
why i want to do this is that i noticed some strangly low level out from my sub when i using REceiver's intenal noise signal, this strange thing will dispear if i play music or movie. don't know why yet, so i am wondering that if the leve set up is correct or not for my SUB.

that's why i want to change to REW generated signal.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Rather than using the SPL meter you may be better either making a measurement of each channel and viewing them together to see how they align or using the REW Pink PN test signal and looking at the response on REW's RTA.

Signals used for level checking, such as those built in to your receiver or the REW speaker or sub cal pink noise signals, are limited to a band of frequencies so that the SPL meter shows the overall level over those bands, but for the sub in particular that single number can be quite misleading if the response has sharp peaks or dips in the measurement band, so looking at the whole response lets you see more easily how the overall levels compare.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts