Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short: I bought this on ebay thinking that I was getting a "TSS 450 Sub" .. but instead I got just the amplifier. I already talked to the seller, and he agreed to give me back my money.

I don't know if is worth it to build a small sub with this amp; it will be used for music ... the idea is to practice for when the time comes and I decide to go the DIY route to build a pair of good sub's for my HT (I need a bigger space and $$$$) :yes:

What do you suggest??? ... If I decide to build a sub: What do you recommend me to use???

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not familair with the "TSS 450 Sub". A search turned up "Infinity TSS-450 Speaker System". Is this the amp you are referring to?
Yes ... is the same; here is the specifications:

Subwoofer
Frequency Range 39Hz – 150Hz (+/–3dB)
Amplifier Power Output 100 watts RMS
Low-Frequency Driver 8"
Crossover Frequency 50Hz - 150Hz, 24dB/octave
continuously variable
Dimensions
(H x W x D) 16-1/4" x 10-1/4" x 15-1/2"
(413mm x 262mm x 394mm)
Weight 28.3 lb (12.9kg)

I don't know if is worth it to build something or just return the amp to the seller ....:huh:

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It wouldn't be much of a sub with a frequency response of 39Hz – 150Hz. That plus the fact that the ohms are a unknown.
The frequency response I posted is what they show in their manual ... Does the amplifier have different specifications??? ...What I mean is, Can I use this amp to build a sub with a better frequency response??? ...I don't know if it helps or is true but the whole TSS 450 system is 8 ohms

EDIT: I have the sub in front of me ... there's a label in the back of the sub (what goes inside the sub box) and says: "4 OHM SPEAKER" ... another thing that I noticed is that it doesn't have a "crossover setting knob", theres just one for the subwoofer level output, a line level input, high level input, auto on/off switch and the power switch ....

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
So it's a 100 watt 4 ohm amp. The problem is this amp was designed to work with the sub at the frequency posted. Altering the amp to produce lower frequencies will involve schematic diagrams and an understanding of electronics. Even if it were altered there no guarantee that it won't fail. In my opinion you're better off buying a 100 watt plate amp from Parts Express knowing it will perform in the manner it was designed to.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
.. In my opinion you're better off buying a 100 watt plate amp from Parts Express knowing it will perform in the manner it was designed to.
Thank you ...I was trying to help the seller (not returning the amp) and experiementing with a small DIY sub before I get into build some good subs for my HT (I have a lot to learn) ...:T

1 - 7 of 7 Posts