Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I'm planning to build a decent sub that I can pair with SVS PB10. It would be use 70% movie and 30% music. I'm also on a budget so I'm planning to spend $200.00 or less if possible. I have enough tools to build the enclosure and some extra wood, left over from ZMV5 that I made. It would be a down firing sub. I would need some recomendation on sub and amps for this project. Also my other question is, my amp right now is Onkyo 304, is this amp capable of driving both sub? I don't have any size restriction because I'm going to make it look like a regular cabinet. Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Rei

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hi Rei, Welcome to the SHack.
As most will say pairing up two different brands of subs is usually not a good idea as this can cause either cancellation or peaks in frequencies that you dont want. That said it can be done. Your onkyo receiver will have no issue running the second sub provided your not planing to use it as the actual amp to drive it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tony,
I think my other question is, can I build a sub that can surpass SVS PB10 for that same budget. When I bought the SVS I haven't found this site and I'm not in to DIY yet that is why I'm wondering if I could built one for less money and better sound quality. I can sell my pb10 to my friend who's looking to buy one if I can build one that could surpass pb10. Thanks again.

Rei

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks Tony,
I think my other question is, can I build a sub that can surpass SVS PB10 for that same budget. When I bought the SVS I haven't found this site and I'm not in to DIY yet that is why I'm wondering if I could built one for less money and better sound quality. I can sell my pb10 to my friend who's looking to buy one if I can build one that could surpass pb10. Thanks again.

Rei
For 200+ whatever you sell the pb10 for yes, you could build a great sub.

A shiva for 200, 500w amp for 230 and mdf to build a box and you have a rocking sub.

Or if you look at the AE clearance c12s or DIYMA clearance 12s which are both under 100 you can probably still beat the pb10 pretty easily.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Derek,
Which shiva sub are you talking about? Is it the MKII or MKIII, also I looked around on the internet but can't find where to buy shiva sub.

Rei

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the link, I was reading some of the post about shiva-x and the 300w bash amp. I'll go with this route, my question is, what max cubic feet of enclosure I can use to maximize the potential of shiva-x and the 300w amp? also, I'm planning to place the sub down firing is this possible. Thanks.

Rei

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the link, I was reading some of the post about shiva-x and the 300w bash amp. I'll go with this route, my question is, what max cubic feet of enclosure I can use to maximize the potential of shiva-x and the 300w amp? also, I'm planning to place the sub down firing is this possible. Thanks.

Rei
Do a search for shiva-x on here-lots of nice cabinet builds, I think. Look for build threads under ported diy subs- you'll likely find one that suits you as I think that driver is pretty flexible. You'll want a larger box for tuning low for HT, or use a passive radiator (more $) to make it smaller, but you said size wasn't a concern.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you are going with a shiva, I'd say go with one of the established designs out there but if your budget can support it step up to a 500w amp to get the most out of the shiva.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everybody for the input, if 500w amp would get the most out of shiva-x that's what I'm going to build. I'll do an update when I started the project. Thanks again..

Rei

1 - 12 of 12 Posts