Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's actually the advertised curve of that driver.
Not to argue with you. But according to B&C in their tests and waveguide, their response differ significantly from what you are stating as their advertised response curve. It isn't the advertised curve in their spec sheet at least. Of course, putting it in a different horn will affect it. But down 30db at 15Khz shouldn't be normal for this driver.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I can remove the crossover from the equation and that curve does not change... Even in the crossover software. It is what it is.

That said, the person I worked with on my new crossover had me send him a bass driver to test as he said he can never trust published specs. He already had plenty of data on the tweeter.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I can remove the crossover from the equation and that curve does not change... Even in the crossover software. It is what it is.

That said, the person I worked with on my new crossover had me send him a bass driver to test as he said he can never trust published specs. He already had plenty of data on the tweeter.
I know you think you have it worked out. However, coming from a loudspeaker designer who does this for a living, what you are saying doesn't make any sense. It is true that you shouldn't trust a manufacturers specs, but when we say that we are typically talking about t/s parameters. Not saying the response won't change, it absolutely can and will, based off the box size and geometry. But generally well known driver manufacturers response graphs are fairly accurate. The response graph that you posted versus B&C's is drastically different. So much so that any designer would and should be asking why. Is it that you are measuring drastically off axis? Is it that you aren't measuring it correctly? Is the measurement microphone bad? Or is it that the driver itself was bad when it came to you? Or is your design so bad it is causing this? Or is it a bad implementation of the crossover? Any and all of these could be an issue. Truthfully what you have posted, from a designers standpoint, doesn't add up. Even if you change woofer, you are still going to have no top end, until you figure out why your measurement is so far off. If you ever want to learn how to implement it correctly, let me know.

Here are some videos that can help you at least make sure you are getting your measurements correct.

How to di it in Xsim:

and one by Scott to make sure you have Rew setup correctly.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
In regards to the tweeter. It takes the same dive without a crossover... I literally cannot be more clear than that. I have also had help in the new crossover by someone who has been doing this for years and makes crossovers for Klipsch speakers. The design I will build does not reflect what's currently in there.

I was never stating I'd change the woofer. I can reduce the 2k hz hump with a 12 Ohm 12 uF Zobel.

I have 5 DE-120's here that I can run a sweep with (La Scala and Heresy). I will be firing up my rebuilt Heresy speakers this weekend and plan to run a sweep. The mic for these sweeps (except the initial) is a brand new UMIK-1. Could I have a bad driver? Possibly. The sound itself doesn't lead me to believe, but I also have one driver that hisses more than the other in installed speakers.

All that said, the sweeps you are stuck on aren't going to be the crossover used in the final... So I really don't put much thought into it. Please stop trying to chase this one as I've already stated it's a first run and another is being built.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Finally got a chance to put together the new crossover... It's crazy how you set something aside and forget for months. It's not as pretty as I'd like, but it won't matter as it'll be in a box.
:)
I will test it out and take sweeps tomorrow. Hopefully this is where I want it as I'm not really keen to keep messing with it.

51188751078_faf52e29aa_h.jpg

·
Registered
103 Posts
what color are you going to go with for the concret personaly id go with a burgandy red with a semi gloss even on the speaker cabs

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,379 Posts
That looks really nice, and best of all when you show it off you can say it was your design. Glad everything worked out so well.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts