Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well given this new space and speaker locations being what they are, the ideal solution would be a drop down AT screen.....anybody ever done something like this? I have an Elite 106" and an Accuscreen 100" that i could retro the AT material into ( i think:dontknow:) I'm hoping somebody responds with an I Did It! or a link to someone who has. PullDown AT screens commercially are just waaaaay to expensive right now as it's a new house with lot's of things that need doin' if ya know what i mean.:help:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem is Mech, i don't have a clue how to go about this. Is AT fabric stable enough to not curl or wave after rolling and unrolling? That's my biggest concern.

Another approach would be a fixed frame/flip up like a set of pulldown attic stairs. A rigid frame could be built to avoid racking and the rigors of motion with cable and turnbuckles. There's some recent work being done with multiple layers of colored 'Spandex' fabric that looks verrry promising as well. If any ideas pop into your head on any of the areas i've expressed feel free to take a stab.:rubeyes::rubeyes:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
This will require some good engineering.

Start with all the requirements

1. Size?

2. Resistance to waving?

3. Ease of use?

Can you phantom the center? How about putting the screen above the mains?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that phantom center is going to be the compromise in this case. My mains will be fine with a 100" 16:9 but i'd like to go a bit bigger.......another compromise i think will be to stick with the 100". My seated listening spot is about 15' from the screen and mains so i think more than enough room for the phantom center image to present itself. I don't think that AT material is rigid enough to not curl and wave. I'm in the very beginning stages of a full HT build and i'd like to do it right from the start.

·
Registered
285 Posts
From what I have read, you will need to have tensioners on the sides to prevent the fabric from wrinkling once you get above 100" diagonal screen sizes. I have been biting nails over AT screen choices as well. I have been following this thread about spandex screen material... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1174153

one of the guys is building a roll down screen, you can see the waves without side tensioners. I decided it would be easier to do a fixed screen and a electric lift for the TV to pop up in front of the screen when I want to just watch TV. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts