Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to try to paint my wall, but during prep I noticed a fairly large hump. So I decided to just go with a fixed frame screen.

I have $380 in Amazon gift cards, so was budgeting up to $400 for the screen. Less would be better if there isn't much of a sacrifice in quality though.

Main concerns is having a truly flat screen, no hotspotting, wide viewing angle, works in moderate lighting (windows and lamps on the sides), and doesn't have a messed up aspect ratio (no bowing, incorrect dimensions, etc...)

Epson HC2030 projector in ECO Cinema/Natural, will be used for movies in no light most of the time, with occasional "background noise" TV during the day, and gaming. White walls/ceiling, tan carpet. 3D movies will be watched with Samsung 5100 3D glasses.

Basically an N8 grey had been decided on. Seating distance is about 14ft away, with projector 11-12ft away, so I can pull off a 120" screen. For Elite EZFrame grey, 120" is $500 vs $400 for 106". Or, Silver Screens 120" is $300, the same as Elite Sable Frame white 120".
That's what Ive narrowed it down to, and not sure which to order now. They are all Prime so no return cost to send back if not perfect. Should I give the Silver Screen a try, or is it not a good brand and not worth the time and effort? Would the Elite white be doable over grey to save money, or would the blacks be too grey and not do well with ambient lighting?

Elite EZ 120" Grey $500

Elite EZ 106" Grey $400

Elite Sable 120" White $300

Silver Ticket 120" Grey $300

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
FIX THE WALL
You should be able to hire a sheet rock guy to redo the wall cheaper than that. Then you could paint. Then you could change your future paint/screen options as you upgrade your projector (thinking ahead).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FIX THE WALL
You should be able to hire a sheet rock guy to redo the wall cheaper than that. Then you could paint. Then you could change your future paint/screen options as you upgrade your projector (thinking ahead).
The paint and supplies was $275, the screen Im thinking of getting is $300. Plus, I don't plan on living here for more then 5 years.

Guess Ill give the Silver Screens a try since its prime. Also getting new speaker wire for the surround, and channels to run them through, and a 16" high stand to put under the screen for the center speaker, and Kinect/Wii.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My luck continues to stink. They sent four of the same frame pieces for the top/bottom parts. Now I got to see how long it will take them to send the correct parts. No longer in stock at Amazon.

Also, I mounted the projector to the ceiling before noticing this. Spent about two hours trying to adjust it, and cant get it right at all. It seems like the middle is shorter then the ends, or the left side is taller then the right side, depending on how I adjust it. I've tried all kinds of adjustments to it, and using keystone which I wanted to avoid since it causes an outline of light.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
My luck continues to stink. They sent four of the same frame pieces for the top/bottom parts. Now I got to see how long it will take them to send the correct parts. No longer in stock at Amazon.

Also, I mounted the projector to the ceiling before noticing this. Spent about two hours trying to adjust it, and cant get it right at all. It seems like the middle is shorter then the ends, or the left side is taller then the right side, depending on how I adjust it. I've tried all kinds of adjustments to it, and using keystone which I wanted to avoid since it causes an outline of light.
If the middle is shorter than the ends then the wall is probably bowed out there. And if the left side is taller, you're not square to the wall.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the right pieces for the frame, and after a few hours got it up. The bottom of the image is still bowed, I moved the projector mount over to be more square, and its the best I can get.

However, I appear to have terrible (unwatchable) hot spotting. There is a huge bright circle area that is extremely glittery that moves around as your view moves.

Is there anything I can do about it, or just return it? Ive re-calibrated the HC2030, though not much really needed to be changed. Have it in natural, ECO, with contrast -1 and brightness 0.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Ya, that's aweful!
Also have a look at Jamestown screens, very reasonable price. I have one and it's been great.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These are the replies I got from their support,

This is the first that this has happened that we know of - we are sorry that you have had two problems from this one product. We will have replacement screen material made and checked, then shipped out to you.
Manufacturing is working on the replacement screen for you now, but they asked me to find out if you still experience the "hotspotting" reflecting off the wall when you take the screen down from the wall. If this is the case it would definitely be the projector and not the screen material. Let us know if you have tried this or what the results from this are.

Thanks,
Steven at Silver Ticket Products
Im willing to give the new material another shot, they overnighted the frame parts, I assume the screen will be too. If that doesn't work, then Ill pack it up and send it back to Amazon for the Elite.

What is weird is that Amazon now lists the "CineGrey" EZ frame as "Rear Projection" even though the model number is for the "CineGrey".

Amazon doesn't have any Jamestown screens. I have $300 in gift cards for Amazon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The replacement was the same.
I have a 106" Mustang manual pull down white screen, and it doesn't have the glittery hot spots like the Silver Ticket one does.

Amazon is issuing an advanced refund so I can get the elite ordered now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the Elite hooked up, and while the hotspotting is improved, its still there and noticeable. Im not sure what to do at this point. Im guessing the HC2030 is just too bright? I called their support and they said with a screen of .8 gain, there shouldn't be any out of the box, even in normal instead of ECO.

Is there a lens cover I can put on it to dim the image some? Would that even help?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Adjust your white and black levels properly and see if it goes away. I'm with Elite on this one. I have a tough time believing that the screen material I'm using could hot spot at all. Does the hot spot follow you as you walk around looking at the screen?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Adjust your white and black levels properly and see if it goes away. I'm with Elite on this one. I have a tough time believing that the screen material I'm using could hot spot at all. Does the hot spot follow you as you walk around looking at the screen?
I called Epson support, not Elite. To see if they had a recommended angle or something for it to be pointed at the screen.

Yes it moves as I move around. Calibrated brightness and contrast while on ECO / Cinema, and even tried lowering them as much as possible and it was still there.

Its pretty much only noticeable in very bright areas, like the scenes in The Avengers that take place up in the sky/clouds. Or if I load up a bright game like Peggle 2. Normal scenes or dark scenes and its not noticeable.

My GF can see it, and she isn't one that can tell a difference in quality between different TVs, or Netflix to Blu Ray.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are some photos (Canon ELPH P&S), the full Peggle 2 shot and the dark background from Titanfall you cant see it, but in the other pics that are white or have white in the area just a bit right/up from center, you can see it.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
It doesn't look as bad as the Silver Ticket screen that's for sure. It appears to me that it is only vaguely perceptible. If that is the case, I'd live with it. You could try and get different screen material from Elite though just to confirm that it's not the problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its really only noticeable in really bright scenes so I'm "OK" with it. I am curious to know if there is something I could put over the lense to darken the image some though. Also wondering if it will fade as the lamp ages.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts