Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have set everything up correctly although I could not get ASIO to work ?
So had to stick with Java (File attached of first full range sweep)
I have set up the loopback (from Mic input to the left and right soundcard outputs) and audio from the soundcard to the receiver via coax cable.
Note: I also have the option of sending to the receiver as multichannel. But I am not sure if there are advantages with that and if it is still possible to have a loopback in place? maybe with “Y” connectors ? My thinking was that this would be an ideal way to see how each speaker was reacting in relation to room location at the sweet spot.
A brief on how I have set everything up
Under sound in Windows control panel I have Asus S/PDIF Pass Through device set as default playback with only 48Hz checked, I have also set the UMIK – 1 Mic as default under recording.
Under REW Preferences – Soundcard. The settings are as per the attachment “ REW Preferences”. I have set the Mic to Z weighting and loaded the Mic 90 Deg Calibration File. All other settings under Preferences have been left at Default.
I understand that I do not need to calibrate my soundcard or SPL the volume to take a measurement as this is taken care of with the UMIK-1 Mic. The Volume on the receiver was set at a normal listening level
Before taking a measurement, I set Use Loopback as a timing Reference, set start and end Freq, checked levels and then took the attached Measurement.
So my Questions are
1. Have I done everything to this point as would be expected ?
2. I have attached a copy of the file with filters generated, dose this look correct.
It appears to not have done anything with the big dips at aprox 80Hz and 2.66Khz
3. Is It possible to use the Soundcard ASIO drive as mentioned earlier with multichannel so that all speakers can be tested together or independently ?
I would appreciate any feedback on my measurement results, My current setup or alternative setup and how I would go about doing that.
Please keep in mind that I am new and a bit green with this technology however consider myself a fast learner.
Thanks in advance. Pidge

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Measurement looks fine, a few points though:

• Can't use loopback as timing reference when using a USB mic, that is only applicable when using a soundcard with line out and line in. With a UMIK can use the acoustic timing reference option when a reference is needed (e.g. if trying to time align separate speakers)
  • Best not using smoothing at low frequencies, particularly if applying EQ there. Better no smoothing or the Var smoothing option
  • To use ASIO drivers with separate input and output devices you need ASIO4All to create an ASIO wrapper around the underlying WDM drivers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi John,
Thanks for your reply:smile:
O.K so i can remove the loopback as i am using a UMIK 1 Mic. Done
When you suggest not using any smoothing for lower freq,s if applying EQ, what would that ceiling be 20 to 200 Hz ? or even lower?
Just to confirm I also need to install the ASIO4All driver in order to complete individual tests on each speaker ?

Thanks again John I really appreciate the advice
Pidge

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome John,
A lot of time and effort had gone into this, specially if you are new to REW
Well done to all involved

Thanks
Pidge

1 - 5 of 5 Posts