Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Samsung HLN507WX/XAA DLP TV. I am having the following problem. More and more often my display will turn B&W negative. It will not turn off and I have to unplug it and turn it back on. It has happened 4 times in the last six hours. In the past I have replaced the lamp and the color wheel. Other than this it has a great vivid picture. Anybody have a similar problem or know what could be wrong?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I would be monitoring power supplies and looking for components that are thermally sensitive. Careful application of freeze spray after monitoring the temp on various components can identify thermal problems. Start by suspecting anything with a heat sink or large ICs that don't have a heat sink. Monitoring power supply lines for d.c. level may help locate a problem but monitoring them for changes in ripple may be more effective.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would be monitoring power supplies and looking for components that are thermally sensitive. Careful application of freeze spray after monitoring the temp on various components can identify thermal problems. Start by suspecting anything with a heat sink or large ICs that don't have a heat sink. Monitoring power supply lines for d.c. level may help locate a problem but monitoring them for changes in ripple may be more effective.
Thank you for your reply. What you suggest is above my expertise level. Since I have had the set for over 8 years and over 26,000 hours on the lamp I guess it is time to upgrade to a new TV, perhaps a 3D. What are your thoughts on active verses passive. Someone told me that active requires special glasses (with batteries) where as passive is more like theater 3D and can be watched with cheaper glasses.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
You are correct regarding the types of glasses. Personally, I find 3d distracting and prefer a well calibrated 2d display.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Yes. Most people who have 3d sets never use them in that mode anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts