Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Negatron 2 theater Build Thread

14K views 38 replies 5 participants last post by  NBPk402 
#1 · (Edited)
We are closing on our new house in Mexico on Friday. Our living room will become our new Home Theater/Stereo (No dedicated room this time). The room is 19' wide with a 30' boveda ceiling, and is approximately 20' from the loft to the windows/doors. The distance from the bar to the windows is 30'. We plan on mounting a projector to the ceiling of the loft floor, and have the screen come down in front of light blocking curtains installed over the windows. The entrances to the wine cellar, and upstairs will be blocked off with sliding barn doors. The walls are about 1' thick clay brick, and the ceiling is also brick with the floors being Cantera black marble. This is def a live room that will be a challenge to tune.

I am starting this setup virtually from scratch, and it will be taking a while to get it back up and running again.

Equipment I have:
Yamaha cxa5100
14 channel DIY amp...to be disassembled, and amps to be either installed inside of biamped speakers or next to them (along with minidsp 2x4 crossovers). Amps will be plugged into Insteon outlets, and individually turned on and off according to how many channels are required.
JBL surround speakers from my old setup will be used for Atmos channels. Klipsch k402 speaker will be converted to a 2 way Synergy style speaker, and then I will make more to have a 5 channel setup utilizing my old EV DH1A drivers.
195" SeymourAV screen (new frame will have to be made, as I used the old frame to make our new equipment racks [emoji4])the screen will lower down in front of the speakers. I am trying to figure out the sliding rails for each side of the screen, and a way to motorized the screen lowering, and raising from the area between the 2 windows.

Project RPM 1.3 Carbon turntable with Sumiko cartridge
OPPO 203
Furman power strips
Monoprice 75' XLR cables for the front 3 channels
Pioneer bluray player for ripping movies to our Unraid NAS
T channel audio rack with sand bed shelves. I will be modifying the config for the new setup, and making it about 6' wide, but lowering it to counter level.

Either coming or planning on getting: (no particular order)

1: $600 worth of Roxul for sound panels on order
2: 4k projector ?
3: Linear slide rails for moving the screen into position, and some sort of motor assembly controlled via Insteon
4: Dirac ?
5: Sub?
6: Bass shakers?

I am sure there will be more additions. Question marks mean brands, and models unknown at this time.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

See less See more
Reactions: NorthSky
#28 · (Edited)
A little update... I now have built 3 DIY Icepower 50asxbtl amps(for the compression drivers), and 6 125asx2btl ampa ror the front 3 channels (1 amp per woofer). I am currently working on building some 2' cube MEHs out of MDF/Plywood and veneer.

Here are some pics..
Table Wood Electronic instrument Desk Audio equipment
Musical instrument Furniture Guitar String instrument Musical instrument accessory

#31 ·
A little update... I now have built 3 DIY Icepower 50asxbtl amps(for the compression drivers), and 6 125asx2btl ampa ror the front 3 channels (1 amp per woofer).
@NBPk402 your manufacturing skills are off the charts! What is your background if I may ask?

Dave

Reactions: NBPk402
#29 ·
I am also building a Plex Server/Roon Rock media setup in one large case. I am planning on using a 10.1" front touchscreen, and possibly having it switch between Plex and Roon via front button. I will have 2 i5 NUCs inside the case...one for Plex, and the other for Roon. I am planning on one HDD rack for now and maybe 2 in the future. The HDDs are all USB HDDs, and will be in the rack and wired either directly to the i5 NUC or via a hub. The racks are capable of having a fan if required, and the case has vents on the top and bottom for cooling. I hope to have this and at least 1 speaker up and running before Christmas.

#30 ·
Today a friend of mine helped me get the valances done for our HT.
Decoration Interior design Curtain Picture frame Building

Computer Property Personal computer Chair Interior design

#33 ·
Today I worked on the name plates I had laser cut for my speakers. Chris is the person who came up with the design combo and also helped me get mine done...so I put his name on the plates. The top plate is what I did today...whe I started it was a little worse than the bottom plate. I used my orbital with 150 grit for a few passes (looking to se if I could still see any pits or deep scratch still), and continued until I could see none. Then I used the orbital with 240 grit until I could not see any of the lines from the 150 grit. Once I finished that I went to some 300 grit and sanded in one direction until that is all I could see. Next I moved to 1000 grit wet dry sand paper and sanded 90 degrees from the 300...until I could not see any 300 grit marks. I kept doing this until I had done 1200, 1300, 1500, 2000, and finally 3000. I am seeing a few scratches from the 2000 layer still, so I think I need to hit it some more with the 3000 grit until they are gone, or maybe hit the whole front with 2000 again and then do 3000 again?.
Pic # 2 gives a much better look at the shine...so far.
Does anyone know if 3000 is high enough before I use a buffing compound on the copper plates?

Brown Wood Font Rectangle Flower
Gas Font Wood Bumper Audio equipment

#34 ·
Does anyone know if 3000 is high enough before I use a buffing compound on the copper plates?
Even when painting some cars and motorcycles back in the day.... we never used 3000 wet and if memory is not too far off we usually stopped around 2000. Good luck with the copper!

Dave

Reactions: NBPk402
#35 ·
Well I think I figured out a way to get it acceptable. I used a orbital sander started at 240, and worked my way up to 2k. I do not have the perfect background, but I have a textured background from the orbital...which IMO makes it look better and is much better than fighting trying to get 1 or 2 scratches out. Now I will buff it out and apply a sealer.
Top left is how it started and the others are 3 more I finished up to polishing. The bottom left is a shadow not a blemish.

Does this look better to you?

Rectangle Packing materials Wood Packaging and labeling Font

#36 ·
Today we completed all the amp front and rear panels with my friends CNC. I still have to drill mounting holes, sand, clearcoat and and then reconfigure the amp and assemble. Next week we will be working on the Roon server/endpoint CNC'd.
Here are a few pics of today's work.
Musical instrument Wood Musical instrument accessory Audio equipment Electronic instrument
Building Rectangle Wood Brick Font
Grille Wood Automotive exterior Mesh Motor vehicle
Musical instrument Wood Musical instrument accessory Audio equipment Electronic instrument

Grille Wood Automotive exterior Mesh Motor vehicle

Building Rectangle Wood Brick Font

#37 ·
Today, I sold one ddrc88a, and my Yamaha cxa5100, and ordered a Marantz av8805a AVP. Now I have more channels available plus Auro3d.

#38 ·
Update: I have come up with a new design for a rack inside of a cabinet. The new design will keep all the equipment concealed, free of dust (I know it will not be 100% free of dust, but it will be considerably better than my current setup), and will provide cooling . The rack shelves are made of 1 1/4" wide steel plate that has been cut, welded, and painted with charcoal grey metallic automotive paint by a body shop. The rack shelves are completed and each of the metal rack shelves will be supported by 7 1 1/4" Parota wood rods. each of the rods has a 1/4' 3" long piece of allthread, attached via threaded inserts on each end of the rods. 1st step for assembly will be to attach each of the 7 rods the topside of the bottom of the cabinet via 7 1/4" allthread and then 7 hockey pucks swill be attached to the bottom of the cabinet. once this is done, I will lay 1 metal shelf on top of the 7 Parota rods, and then lay a 1" thick Parota wood shelf on top of the metal shelf. Next, I will screw the next 7 rods through the metal shelf to the 1st layer of 7 Parota wood rods... then I will keep doing this until all 4 shelves and the top and bottom Parota is completed. Then we will measure the distance from the top of the bottom piece of the cabinet to the bottom of the top piece of the cabinet (for the construction ofslatted panels).. The front and sides will be made of 1 Parota wood frame that has black grill cloth attached to it, and then 1x1 strips of Perota wood will be run vertically with each piece separated by approximately 1". I have not decided if i want the rear to also have slats or just a frame with grill cloth, yet. The cabinet will be a bit over 6' wide x 4' high, by 28" deep. I will also be installing LED lighting facing downward from the top of the cabinet.

The end of the month we will be building a pair of Joseph Crowe subwoofers. The cabinets will be made of plywood and then wrapped with 1" Parota wood. Sometime next moth they subs should be ready for testing, and then the cabinets will be sent to my carpenter to mod with Parota wood.

Then the long awaited MEH wood horns will be started. The first 1 or 2 will be made of MDF stacked layers, and if they come out as expected, I will try 2 or 3 of them out of stacked Parota wood. The MDF versions will be painted to match the charcoal grey shelves. The last part of the the horns will be to try them cabinet less, and if i like them that way they will be complete...if not I will make cabinets out of MDF for the 2 MDF horns and paint them to match the MDF MEH. Then I will look at how the Parota horns look with a mdf cabinet. If the contrast looks nice I will most likely stop there.

#39 ·
Here is one rack shelf...the metal shelf will be suspended by Perota wood shelves and the wood shelves will rest on top of the metal shelf. each wood metal shelf combo will be clamped together by the Perota uprights. The long oval part is for the wiring and for some ventilation...the slot is on the rear side of the rack.

Wood Floor Composite material Flooring Hardwood
Wood Track Bumper Flooring Floor
Wood Floor Flooring Automotive exterior Hardwood

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.