Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

101 - 120 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
OK guy's
I will cut up and build a cabinet to the size you want to see tested.

What size you all looking at.
So far I am building a 4cft sealed plus a 8.5cft ported.
Bob and I will test them on Friday?

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Re: New 15” Driver - CSS SDX15

Both of those designs sound great. I almost suggested the 4ft^3 sealed, but you're already building that ;)

This is VERY exciting stuff :)

Thanks for contributing to the DIY community.

·
Registered
175 Posts

Yes i think the 4cft will be the most requested but for my HT I will build a pair of the 8.5cft

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #110

Al,

Boxes look nice… What are the outside dimensions for the smaller box, and did you stick with the 4 cubic foot volume? How are you planning on supporting the driver (i.e. baffle only, or did you incorporate some sort of a brace similar to those found in Planet10 designs)? I have not worried too much about driver bracing/support in the past and would like to experiment this round. Dave’s logic behind coupling the driver with the back of the enclosure sounds like a good idea. I assume care must be taken to make sure the vent isn’t covered or restricted.

For my SDX15 cabinet I think I will build a 4.5 cu. ft., down firing cabinet (18” X 18” X 36” or there about). I also have a 300 liter LLT tuned to 15 Hz. that I plan to test the driver in too.

I am looking for a lower Q alignment, and according to Unibox using about 135 liters with “heavy stuffing” gives a Qtc value of about 0.55. Heavy stuffing to me means one lbs. per cubic foot. Does this ring true with the rest of you experts?

·
Registered
175 Posts

These are built to the sizes of 4cft sealed 21" cube with 4 braces in that 21"cube.All using .75" Fir plywood.

The larger cabinet is 8.65cft with 6 braces side to side and then 4 braces bracing each of those side to braces.Another words VERY WELL BRACED.

I did thisas I wantedit over size a bit as well this is for my HT room once the tests are done.

Yes they have the cut out for the driver support for the motor.

Just a little heads up if no one has got it yet.

Bob from CSS ,Dave D and I work together on a lot of things as well Dave does all my documentation for my products.:bigsmile:

Bob see you Friday need the SMS1 plus the LT1300.I will set up Praxis in the HT room as well.

Al,

Boxes look nice… What are the outside dimensions for the smaller box, and did you stick with the 4 cubic foot volume? How are you planning on supporting the driver (i.e. baffle only, or did you incorporate some sort of a brace similar to those found in Planet10 designs)? I have not worried too much about driver bracing/support in the past and would like to experiment this round. Dave’s logic behind coupling the driver with the back of the enclosure sounds like a good idea. I assume care must be taken to make sure the vent isn’t covered or restricted.

For my SDX15 cabinet I think I will build a 4.5 cu. ft., down firing cabinet (18” X 18” X 36” or there about). I also have a 300 liter LLT tuned to 15 Hz. that I plan to test the driver in too.

I am looking for a lower Q alignment, and according to Unibox using about 135 liters with “heavy stuffing” gives a Qtc value of about 0.55. Heavy stuffing to me means one lbs. per cubic foot. Does this ring true with the rest of you experts?

·
Registered
175 Posts

Well would have used MDF if.
Get this labour shortage no one working in the yard at Rona to cut up afew sheet.
So this Fir ply was sitting there 2X4 sheets for $6.00

Sure made my day easy.

Dave best part did not have to wear a mask to cut it all.

Hey Al,

Really nice to see you using "real" wood for these cabs :)

dave

·
Registered
90 Posts

Al,
sort of a brace similar to those found in Planet10 designs)? \
That should probably be Planet10 drawings... Chris (driver designer) specified the boxes, i just dis the detail to get the sizes right and added the last brace from the magnet to the back of the box.

The ShadowSD, BIB & the TL are Scott & my designs. Our 1st crack at the SDX15 is a "small" push=push TL.

Al, the 2x4 sheets goes a long way to explaining the, shall we say, unusual, bracing in the big box. Watch out you might find you gt spoiled by the ply :)

By the time you add in the braces, amp (Bob implied an amp), and driver volumes you are a bit shy of the recommended 3.4 ft^3 box (the 1st pass at the no-amp included version is a 20 3/8" cube)

dave

·
Registered
175 Posts

Never go to ply 100% just can not do what MDF does.:boxer:

As far as the cabinet yes the small one you got the pictures on today I have also a plate made to cover the plate amp and change the volume of the cabinet.

The large one asyou noted has very exotic bracing all over.:neener:

·
Registered
175 Posts

OK since Bob can not post the images I will.
Here is the sealed cabinet in room done with the SMS1 using the settings Bob showed above.
No eq nothing on the SMS1 Just used for measurments in room

Below same amp settings the ported has more SPL and out put over the sealed

OK now the Ported design with the LT1300 no boost added and the SMS1 used in Auto EQ in 1 minutes time.

·
Registered
175 Posts

No I have not used it before.i am aware of it and its use.
But really design speakers,making proto types and complete speakers really takes up the days.

I used the SMS1 as Bob has the SMS1 and would like tests done with it.

I use Praxis for everything else or MLSSA

101 - 120 of 197 Posts