Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built the Infinity Kappa perfect 12 simple build found on another forum site and it was good. The problem was that I powered it with a 300 WRMS plate amp AND I got the DVQ model. So, I thought that I would fix my new affinity for bass by swapping out the 12" for an IXL 15.2.2. That did a little but still left me wanting. Now I have swapped out the 300 watt plate amp for an OAudio 500 WRMS plate amp and am left still wanting. Something is wrong. The manual clearly states that only one RCA should be used from the LFE port, and I have done this. However, when 2 RCA's via a Y-jack are used there is a lot more output. The out put from the sub seems like it is thin, or missing something. It seems like it is not getting enough signal from the receiver. I have cheapy cheap 50 ft long RCA cable connecting the two. Could this be a problem?

Here is a quick description of the problem.

Transformers with the Infinity and 300 watt plate amp sounded better, deeper, and even created some wow moments.

Transformers with the IXL 15 and OAudio 500 plate amp seem to have less impact, lack of really deep stuff, and create NO wow moments.

By the way, I simply routed the hole larger in the same Infinity box to accomodate the larger sub. So, the box remains the same.

For those unfamiliar with the build it is a 3.95 ft3 (internal) box with a 12.5x3x61.95 in slot port tuned to 19.5hz.

What can I do to make this thing better!?:hissyfit:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
HP is set to 16Hz and to be honest, I can't tell you what EQ I am using. I have been playing with the dials all night. Even after reading the owners manual, I am not sure how I need to set them. I am looking for maximum boost at the 20Hz level. (I know that this box is not ideal for the driver, but with IXL it should be better than the 12")

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
However, when 2 RCA's via a Y-jack are used there is a lot more output.
Leave it that way. Apparently the amp needs more input signal.
Regarding the lack of punch I would suggest you run REW FR at LP... Let's see what's happening.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
I seem to have a similar output deficiency. My driver is barely moving even with a samson s-convert boost the input into a bfd. The samson increases the output, but seems to run shy of potential at max level. This was with some music, so will check it more thoroughly tonight. Perhaps the amp's gain and the sub output level setting on the receiver both may be lower than needed?

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
That's very likely. You have to figure out whether it's an input signal weakness or a subwoofer problem. Solutions will be a lot different.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the gain set to maximum. I have no ability to adjust the output from the reciever. It is an older VSX-504s Pioneer reciever. Probably 15 years old at least.

So, does leaving both RCA's plugged in present any real problems?

Is the age of the receiver really that big of a problem? (I really want a new one tho!)

The sub is wired for 4 Ohm. With one positive terminal connected to the opposite negative terminal on the sub, and the other two connected to the amp.

I think that one of the main problems is that I can't turn up my volume on the reciever high enough (about 10:30 on a clock) to get proper signal to the sub without maxing out my mains. In other words, the sub has much more to give, but the woofers on my mains don't.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
You're going to have to start somewhere. If you verify both coils are working on the sub and check their resistance (don't assume) and everything checks out, then the problem is either the amp or the receiver. Plate amps aren't known for any low voltage problem, so borrowing a receiver or taking the sub and amp somewhere to test it with another receiver would be the thing to do. If you get the same result then I would suspect the amp is faulty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts