Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Read Don Lindich's Sound advice blog and found the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K for $299 at Amazon to be a great deal and picked it up.

It'll be a few weeks before I set it up and get speakers for it, but it's a start. One of the tipping points for me was the Ipod dock connector.

Read Consumer Reports about LCDs and Plasmas, and it looks like Panasonic Plasma is the way to go with those. Do 60 and 120 Hrz make a difference for gaming? Should I look for 120Hrz? I'm thinking of when I'm playing Rock Band 3 I'd have to calibrate for 60Hrz maybe. Or is that problem non-existant now?

Sorry if that might be in the wrong thread.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sony is not a maker of good quality receivers. Lots of quality issues and way over rated.
I do have a sony receiver a long time ago and it did gave me pleasure to my standards but I may have not known other standards since I did not have other receivers to try though. But my Sony receiver did not fail until I had to sell them since I am moving out.

Now I am looking for what is best.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. As others have mentioned previously, a little more information would allow us to give more accurate and reasonable recommendations. For example, do you have a display or will that purchase be within your stated budget? How much light is in the room? I have also mentioned in the past that my recommendations is not to give up quality due to current budget restraints. Get your system bit by bit but buy good quality at each step.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Shackmonster is correct, You will get the most enjoyment of your system if you buy your system piece by piece instead of all at once. Spending more on one item than all at once will give you a setup that will last you years.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Do 60 and 120 Hrz make a difference for gaming? Should I look for 120Hrz?
LCD's are getting better all the time and if you spend enough money you can get a good one. Plasmas generally have better video quality.
When recommending audio/video gear I usually don't say that a certain brand is better than another. Usually if you are looking at several items that are in the same price range, they will have similar quality but each will have there own characteristic (i.e. looking at a Panasonic and a Vizio, each being a 50" plasma at $2000, each will probably be similar in quality but each will look different (the Panasonic may push green more, the Vizio may push red more); but if you look at a Panasonic that is $2000 and a Vizio that is $1000 the more expensive Panasonic will probably be better). I'm not saying to just go buy the more expensive item, I'm saying to find out why one costs more than another, do research.
Yes, 120hz should be better than 60hz, but you can't just look at the stats on the box and believe them. Especially contrast ratio. They twist all those numbers to their favor. Do research reading many professional reviews from magazines.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
You do not want to buy a plasma if your are going to do a fair bit of gaming on it. Plasma is susceptible to burn in and any images that stay on the screen in one spot for a long time will burn in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree with gdstupak and tonyvdb, however I would also add that I would not worry about burn-in with newer plasma sets as they have circuits to prevent the problem, do your research.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I would not worry about burn-in with newer plasma sets as they have circuits to prevent the problem, do your research.
Unfortunately thats not true, I have a friend who bought a Panasonic Plasma because he was told that by the sales person and it has the anti burn-in feature (pixel shift) but he still has the TLC logo burnt into his display its very noticeable on a white background.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The reviewers I've read say that burn-in shouldn't be a problem with normal viewing with a good quality set.
I've also read that the first 100-200hrs are the most susceptible to burn-in, so no static images at first. Then it should be fine.
Gamers would probably have to be more cautious (maybe reduce the brightness/contrast even more during game play?).
Even if I were a gamer, I would still buy a plasma. How much of a gamer are you?

tonyvdb:
if your friends set only had 'TLC' burnt-in I would say they had it on that channel on torch mode a very long time during the break-in period of the set.
I say this because why only 'TLC' and nothing else?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
tonyvdb:
if your friends set only had 'TLC' burnt-in I would say they had it on that channel on torch mode a very long time during the break-in period of the set.
I say this because why only 'TLC' and nothing else?
I personally went over and helped him set it up and calibrate it using AVIA. It was not in torch mode and he watches all sorts of different things including gaming on it The TLC logo is just the most noticeable there are other faint ones but cant really make them out. He watches allot of programming on TLC so why should a person avoid watching what they want due to a limitation of a display technology thats not the point when you buy a TV is it?
Plasma is a good display but be warned that burn in IS an issue no matter what anyone tells you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's why I said do your homework, not every plasma has the circuit to protect against burn-in but I agree your friend must have not been paying attention or maybe they turned this feature off? I don't think TV stations would broadcast a static image for such a period of time as to potentially damage viewers displays, they would be open to lawsuits. My guess is there is some other cause behind your friends set. I have not seen burn-in for a very long time, not even on sets in public places like airports etc.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I have not seen burn-in for a very long time, not even on sets in public places like airports etc.
Those are all LCD displays (they do not have burn in issues) Plasma draws far to much power and is not cost effective in applications like that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
No they are not, they are plasma displays I am talking about. LCD displays are not good for that application as you can't see the image clearly from off angles

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

I'm moving to new place and finally have some space to
start building HT setup (small living room).

I read some posts here and decided that I'm going to stay
away from HTIB's and becouse of budget limitations I will
build my setup slowly starting with 2 speaker system and
upgrade it towards 5.1.

Now I would appreciate some opinions about what to get.
Usage Movies/Music, 80/20

Here's something I've found:
Amp:
Yamaha RX-V567 - 270 euros

Speakers:
Tannoy Mercury V1 - 200 euros / pair
Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 - 225eur / pair

Wharfedale Diamond 9.4 - 250eur / pair

What do you think about these choices? Any good?

My budget is small for this first phase (below 600 euros)
and maybe in 6 months I'll add something or sooner if I
find some decent used speakers.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Both Tannoy and Warfdale make quality speakers I would go with the ones that have the largest cabinate and drivers as in most casses they will give you the "largest" sound. The yamaha will do just fine and is a great receiver for the money.
You are on the right track as far as building a system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your input.

This thread (and "before buying HTIB.." thread) had very much good information but I hoped that there would be more recommended setups.. I'm totally new to HiFi stuff and when looking at different speaker it's impossible to say which brands are worth the money. There's also limitations on what you can find locally and becouse of that larger selection of known good setups would be nice.

I was thinking that thread where would be just system recommendations would be nice and give good insight to what kind of systems are worth the money.

Maybe with sample 'recommendation request form' where you fill in specifications needed to recommend setup.
Information needed for system recommendation:
Budget:
Room size:
Usage (Movies/Music):
Additional Info:

etc. etc.
...and after getting some recommendations original poster could edit recommended systems to his first post.
Recommended Setups
Amp:
- Yamaha XXX
- Onkyo XXX

Front Speakers:
- Tannoy xxx
- B&W xxx
Recommended by: User Xxx, User Xxx
This way there would be database coming up based on different room specs, budget, etc..

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Its very hard to do a recomendation thread dedicated to what you have given, everyones budget is different and so are priorities. We can give general lists but its allot tougher than it looks. As it is the info here is getting outdated and I need to update it soon.
You might be better off asking this question in your own thread, include a budget and what is available to you. We have a number of members from over in your area that could help you better than I can from here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its very hard to do a recomendation thread dedicated to what you have given, everyones budget is different and so are priorities. We can give general lists but its allot tougher than it looks. As it is the info here is getting outdated and I need to update it soon.
You might be better off asking this question in your own thread, include a budget and what is available to you. We have a number of members from over in your area that could help you better than I can from here.
Yeah, I understand..

I was thinking about big picture not just this particular case. I noticed that there's lot of people asking for system recommendations and first there's one page of posts asking for more info. So I was thinking that some kind of guide lines to 'What should I include when I need recommendations' would be good.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
It is always best to buy better and less than it is to buy all at once. Start with a good receiver, as its the heart of the system use some speakers you have laying around untill you can afford to by better ones and so on.
You will end up with a much more satisfying system in the end.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts