Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's what I had in mind. I thought that for now I'm trying to get some speakers for front and use existing speakers from mini hifi system as surround speakers..

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Thats a good plan! Its taken me years to get my system to where I have it now and as with all technology it keeps eveolving and needs upgrading from time to time but You get to a point that you say that its good enough.
Speakers are one item that if you buy something good now you will be able to use them for many many years.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well i was looking for starting article. Here its. Thanks for this. After reading this at least i know some thing.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts

You want a receiver that has at the very least High Definition Media Interface (HDMI) pass-through meaning that what ever is sent over HDMI is passed through the receiver without any processing or upconversion. You want the newest uncompressed audio formats Dolby TruHD and DTS Master audio decoding. Some sort of auto room correction is also a must have like Audessey MMAC or YAPO this corrects your sound through the speakers by EQing everything and adjusting for room delay (I wont get into to much detail here).
There are many manufacturers of receivers and this can get very confusing, The big players in this price range are (in no particular order) Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Marantz and Pioneer. They all have there pros and cons my personal favorite is Onkyo only because they seem to have the best options and features for the money in the past 3 years.

Is this still the trend?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Yes, Onkyo still has the best bang for buck receiver out there.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I'm going to be a newb and ask a question, rather than reading through this thread :)

Can you suggest any receiver that is bare minimum for DTS-HD/True-HD? What I mean by that is: I only have two HDMI sources and do not need multiroom or any other obtuse features. I'm also a believer of Murphy's Law :)

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I highly recommend the Onkyo 609 from Accessories4less You cant go wrong for the price. or even better the Onkyo 709.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Do they have a 509? J/K I'll do some leg work.. I do like that 609, but I'll never use/need all the inputs.

Thanks for the input, and keep an eye out for Murphy's reciever :D I've already looked for a HD decoder, but prices are rediculous(I have 4 older recievers with 5.1 inputs)

EDIT: I found the 509 lol..

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
with the 609 or any good quality receiver you will get at least 4 HDMI inputs. You may not use every feature but what you get is a strong amplification section and a very good video processor. Its a win win for you or anyone looking at a budget receiver thats still looking for quality.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I see that, now that I'm looking around. For $80 more, I'd have the 609 over the 509(at your provided website). Guess I'll bite the $300 bullet... Get out my jaws of life for my wallet..

·
Registered
918 Posts
With AVR's, quality and features go hand-in-hand. As the quality increases, so does the number of obtuse features.
If you want only a few HDMI inputs, and the bare bones features, then usually the rest of the AVR (amp, processor sections) is going to be lower quality.
I agree that going with refurbished, b-stock high quality AVR's is the way to go, wish I had done that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello Experts:
I am a total newbie and looking to put together a basic plus HT for my new home. Here are my specific requirements. Right now, I dont have anything ( no tv, no blue ray etc)

1. within $2000 ( tv not counted in this amount)
2. room dimension 14x15
3. have two step seating (just like theatre). first row person is around 6-7 ft from TV wall.
4. I prefer TV instead of projector & screen.
5. I prefer speakers that I can put on the wall ( not inside). Something small to medium size.
6. prefer 5.1 system as my room is small.
7. I have a small equipment closet outside the media room to keep all equipment.
8. my HT will be more for movies either thru blue ray player or netflix, amazon etc.

So in need suggestions as to:
1. what tv size appropriate for my size room. Pls suggest specific brands
2. what speakers, receiver, sub-woofers, pls suggest specific brands and what place to buy ( in usa). I am bsed in dallas, TX.
3. Any other suggestions that you think can help me bring $ down.

Read more: Need suggestions for home theatre around $2000 with specific requirements. - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

81 - 95 of 95 Posts