Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be offering the Audience 5", 6", & 8" woofers in the near future. As expected, these drivers will also have the XBL2 technology. :bigsmile:

I expect the delivery of our new drivers in about 6 to 8 weeks from today. At that time, I'll have all the specs and information available for you.

I can just imagine two or four of the A3's with a bass driver to add to the low end for an awesome speaker. :rofl2:

I'll keep you posted!

Mike

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As with any quality product, sometimes it takes a little longer to perfect it.

Our delivery time will be set back due to quality control, construction, & tooling. We should receive our prototypes within a couple of weeks, then hope to be able to have them in production and available within the next 60 days following.

Thanks for your patience.
Mike

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess you know what I'm going to say next, Mike? 8)

I'll wait for these to show up and hear your honest impression. Sounds like JUST what I need for my little escapade into the DIY realm... :D
Hey there atledreier,

It would be nice to keep the drivers all XBL2 tech. I haven't heard back from you. Maybe 8 + 1?

Mike

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I'm still waiting for the sale of the Euphonias to go final. Right now I think I'll wait for the woofers and see what the specs end up with and if they keep up with the A3. If so it sounds like just the thing to make my midbass cravings satisfied.

Any idea of cabinet size, config and power handling?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have any details at all and usually don't until about release date.

Mike

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: 8" woofer pre-release specifications and graphs

I now am able to release the information about our upcoming 8" XBL2 woofer. I hope to be posting the 5" & 6" driver information very soon. I still don't have a confirmed product release date, but it shouldn't be long now. As with all good speaker drivers, they take time to test and tweak before production.

Here is the link:

http://www.speakerhobby.com/W8-1729SA LMS.pdf

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The measured parameters for parallel and series wiring are interesting, unfortunately the LINEARX SYSTEMS LMS measurements don't state the Xmax of the woofer. I'll assume these new Audience products were Klippel tested at the factory, if my assumptions are correct, could you find out what the rated Xmax is?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The measured parameters for parallel and series wiring are interesting, unfortunately the LINEARX SYSTEMS LMS measurements don't state the Xmax of the woofer. I'll assume these new Audience products were Klippel tested at the factory, if my assumptions are correct, could you find out what the rated Xmax is?
Hi Mike,

I think it is 11" one way........:eek:

Just kidding....I also noticed that and I'll try to get the information late this afternoon. I'm working a large order right now and have to go to the ole regular job in a few minutes.....

Mike

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mike,

Our engineer still doesn't have that information yet. I'll get it posted as soon as I hear back. I'm also pushing for specs on our 5" & 6" drivers, and requested some pics if they are available. It may take a couple of days.

Hi Mike,

I think it is 11" one way........:eek:

Just kidding....I also noticed that and I'll try to get the information late this afternoon. I'm working a large order right now and have to go to the ole regular job in a few minutes.....

Mike

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
atledreier,

I just shipped 36 A3s this afternoon and my customer, against all odds, is going to build a 16 driver horizontal A3 center speaker along with a pair of line array 8s. I did some testing with my 4 driver build this weekend horizontal and was very impressed. Audience hasn't tried it and many say it won't work, but Teflon and Velcro were accidents that proved to be very successful. It will be a while before the center is complete, but I'll keep you in the loop.

Mike

I guess you know what I'm going to say next, Mike? 8)

I'll wait for these to show up and hear your honest impression. Sounds like JUST what I need for my little escapade into the DIY realm... :D

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: New Audience woofer update & specs.

I have the specs all 3 soon to be released Audience woofers. The XMAX on all three woofers is 12mm, one way. The motor structure is also the same for each woofer.

5" Woofer: http://www.speakerhobby.com/W5-1727SA LMS.pdf

6" Woofer: http://www.speakerhobby.com/W6-1728SA LMS.pdf

8" Woofer: http://www.speakerhobby.com/W8-1729SA LMS.pdf

For all sizes: Impedance is 8 Ohms, DC Resistance is 7.2 Ohms, inductance is 0.13 millihenries

For all sizes: the voice coil is 1.5” in diameter, split aluminum former, copper wire
For all sizes: thermal power handling is 200W RMS, 400W peak

Frequency Response: see frequency response graphs for total response (low end listed assumes use in an optimized enclosure)
A5: 55 Hz to 9 kHz
A6: 30 Hz to 8 kHz
A8: 22 Hz to 7 kHz

Efficiency: A5 – 84.7 dB @ 1W, 1m
A6 – 86.9 dB @ 1W, 1m
A8 – 87.2 dB @ 1W, 1m

All have an XBL motor with 12mm one way linear stroke, a low loss/high linearity random-weave/pressed spider, low-loss Santoprene cone, cast aluminum basket, neo motor structure, long-strand natural fiber (cotton, wood, hemp, bamboo) pressed paper cones with integrated one-piece concave dustcaps.

Quote from our engineer:

"I laid eyes on these drivers for the first time yesterday, wow! They will look like a larger version of the A3 as far as the frame is concerned. The motor/magnetic structure is a lot more streamlined."

Mike

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Mike,

The engineer finally received a sample of each driver about 3 weeks ago! He took some pics but they didn't turn out well enough to post. That usually means six weeks out, so I'm hoping no more than 2 to 3 weeks at the maximum. We have been like kids waiting for the candy store to open. The A3s have been so successful with the XBL2 motor. I feel these woofers are going to be so fantastic!

I'll post as soon as I know.

Thanks for asking.

Mike

1 - 20 of 27 Posts