Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around January of this year, my Onkyo 609 receiver's hdmi inputs stopped working properly. The inputs will no longer pass any signal. I have already had this receiver repaired once for the very same thing while it was still under its warranty so now my only option left is to pay much more to fix it or simply get a new receiver. I plan to keep this one for audio only setups and am in the market for a replacement. My budget is around 250-400. The quality of the Onkyo as far as performance seemed pretty great, and I would at least like to make an upgrade from that point.

I am only running 2 Polk Monitor 60's Floorstanding and a Polk CS II Series 2 center channel. I will expand it eventually to a 5.1 setup but will most likely never do a 7.2. I currently only connect a blu ray player and my pc to it as well. Figure that might help narrow some of the questions down.

After looking over Amazon a bit last night, the two receivers I am currently looking at are:

Sony - STR-DH740
and the
Denon - AVR-E400

After reading a few reviews, I think the Sony AVR has a bit more of the edge in its performance to customer satisfaction. The remote on the Denon is a huge con to me as I do not wish to have tons of remotes to operate everything; my Onkyo spoiled me with its universal remote. I will have to read up on these units more when I have some time off from work later today. Does anyone have any experience with that Sony model?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will look more into this unit. If I end up getting a Denon, I will need to get a universal remote as the one that is supplied with that unit is seriously lacking compared to the one that came with my Onkyo 609. I am extremely hesitant to order something from A4L again since that would be a repeat from what I did with my Onkyo 609. Within the first year it started having hdmi issues which eventually led to being sent in for repairs only to have the same issue happen again within a year.

Sometimes I wish there was a way to see why these units were refurbished. I did see an alarming amount of posts online about Onkyo hdmi board failures being a major issue and would really, really like to avoid this in the future with my next unit. As this was my first receiver purchase, I will write it off as a success since I did enjoy it while it worked. I would like my next experience, however, to be much more positive.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I don't know but is your remote that came with your 609 a learning remote? If so you can use that one to run another reciever.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now I do not know that answer either. I will have to look into it. I always assumed that it was all tied in though through the receiver itself. As in I can program all devices to the remote, but I couldn't program it to work another receiver. That would be a great solution since I have become so accustomed to it. That would open me up to a lot of these Denon receivers that seem to have amazing reviews and positive customer support.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I agree, I have the 809 and it has a learning remote.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does it look like this:Current 609 Remote?

If it does, then I can really open this up for more suggestions as it is no longer bound to the remote control. One of the only gripes about the Sony I listed is that it has a rather dated looking UI. The Onkyo GUI wasn't terrible; simplistic is more the word. I will try to look into the Denon units GUI as I hear a lot of recommendations for that company and many positive reviews on their units.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
No mine is different but you still might be able to use it because your remote has the ability to enter codes to control your tv or blu-ray player and such. Maybe you could find the code for the denon or other receiver.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well with that being said, are there any others with suggestions. I was kind of hoping for a few other units to look at. I will take that Denon into consideration, even though the refurb factor does put me off a bit.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Well with that being said, are there any others with suggestions. I was kind of hoping for a few other units to look at. I will take that Denon into consideration, even though the refurb factor does put me off a bit.
PM'd

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also looked up the Marantz nr1403. I like that the unit is more slim line and runs cooler, but the unit also seems to be lacking in a lot of the features some of these new models have. It also does not have any form of 4k upscalling/passthrough. I do like the look of the unit though.

As for the Denon avr-E400, I am concerned with its odd banana plug and speaker wire setup. One of the video reviews on youtube even explains how it might have been a design oversight in how it conflicts with some of the other inputs on the rear of the receiver.

Does anyone here have any Sony, Pioneer, or Yamaha units within this price range that they would recommend? I know that no unit will ever be perfect and some of the ones I have listed can easily work as a solution. I am simply trying to make the best buy to hopefully avoid the issues I had with my first purchase.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still researching and looking at units. One thing I did notice is that the Sony I linked does not have any way to interface with my network. That is only a bother for firmware updates as most units end up needing them to fix little bugs and issues. The Denon still looks like a fine pick, but I have no knowledge of the company and its level of quality. There are a few Pioneer and Yamaha that are also available in my price range.

This receiver looks like it would work well as a replacement and has 4k passthrough as well:
Yamaha - RX-V475

Starting to run into a bit of give and take issues with these choices as one will offer a feature that another one will not and vice versa. And suggestions or recommendations at this point would greatly be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Sony makes good TVs and video cameras but there receiver line is less than stellar. With the exception of their ES line I would stay away from them. I would look at Marantz, Denon or again another Onkyo.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Onkyo is completely out of the question. I did hear a good deal about the low end of Sony receivers and audio equipment being rather subpar. My current brands are honestly Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon, and Marantz in no specific order. However, finding a review that I feel is a bit more truthful after more than a weeks use is tough. I am sure the Onkyo I currently have had stellar reviews.. before the massive hdmi board issues plagued so many units.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have been looking over reviews and forums to find a receiver to fit my needs for about the past week and a half. I have tried posting various places to get some legit conversation started on some of these units to no avail. Over that course of time I have come across a few very strong options to replace my HDMI failure Onkyo NR609. I would like to go ahead and make a purchase somewhere later in the evening and am down to the final decision. I figure, for one last shot at comparing these units, I would post each of the units to see if anyone has any say to sway me towards one or the other.

Denon AVR- X1000

Yamaha RX-V475

Sony STR-DH740

Denon AVR-E400

Each one of these units have varying capabilities and all of them are great for my purpose. However, I am uncertain on these products quality just as I was with my Onkyo before I found out about the hdmi board issues. I have not really read up much on any Pioneer or Harmon Kardon units that fit into this dollar amount. All I am currently powering is two Polk Monitor 60's and a Polk Center CSII Series 2. At this point, I just want to order something so I can move on and have proper home theater experience again. Any one have any suggestions?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have been looking over reviews and forums to find a receiver to fit my needs for about the past week and a half. I have tried posting various places to get some legit conversation started on some of these units to no avail. Over that course of time I have come across a few very strong options to replace my HDMI failure Onkyo NR609. I would like to go ahead and make a purchase somewhere later in the evening and am down to the final decision. I figure, for one last shot at comparing these units, I would post each of the units to see if anyone has any say to sway me towards one or the other. Denon AVR- X1000 Yamaha RX-V475 Sony STR-DH740 Denon AVR-E400 Each one of these units have varying capabilities and all of them are great for my purpose. However, I am uncertain on these products quality just as I was with my Onkyo before I found out about the hdmi board issues. I have not really read up much on any Pioneer or Harmon Kardon units that fit into this dollar amount. All I am currently powering is two Polk Monitor 60's and a Polk Center CSII Series 2. At this point, I just want to order something so I can move on and have proper home theater experience again. Any one have any suggestions?
Yamaha will be the most reliable, and after much research, I bought one myself, and not just for the reliability. They have some of the best on board amps in the business and do DSP better than anyone.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I would agree, but I am happy with my Onkyo, even after being a big Yamaha fan, owning two of their AVRs, and having serviced most brands for a couple of decades, and seen the failures in Onkyo. The scale of the problems is exaggerated in my experience.

Yamaha was doing DSP and attempting to recreate room acoustics a decade before anyone else took it seriously. They have, however, taken a different path than others that I feel is not quite as effective. I am more happy with Audyssey compared to Yamaha's processing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So that is a somewhat solid two for the Yamaha unit. I enjoyed my Onkyo while it lasted, but I simply have been burned by the failure and would kick myself to have a repeat issue. The reviews for the Yamaha RX-V475 are pretty solid, and I am glad to hear the quality of amps on the inside. I will keep that in mind while others post in about their suggestions or opinions this evening.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Understand, however, that Yamahas occasionally break, just like everything else. You gain a very small advantage in probability of having an issue by using a different brand.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts