Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for a winter project, and need a subwoofer for my house. I watch 50% movies and 50% music.

A long time ago I built a cool box for a customer's car. they wanted to compete in SQ/SPL a little bit but wanted a great sounding SQ setup for daily driving. We ended up making a slot ported box, that the port was tuned higher for max SPL, and we built a plug for it that dropped in and changed the tuning freq lower for SQ. it worked great... so I thought today maybe I will look into this for my build.

I understand that alot of people are tuning around 16-19hz for HT, but what is a good point to tune a box for musical playback? I guess this is a good starting point, then I can find a driver that models out well for 2 different tuning freq's in the same volume box.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
A properly designed sub will have a flat frequency response which will work for both HT and music. Some subs are known to sound better than others for music. Infinity Kappa comes to mind. SVS has a design where they use 3 flared ports which can be plugged for different tuning frequencies. Building a sub that way would allow you to do the same thing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at the Kappa VQ12" single VC. I looked at the reviews and the topic from the audiolab guy here (sorry forgot the name/username). I would like to go with that speaker. However, I went on the infinity website and got the thiele p-rams but when I modeled the mid-Q as he did my graphs were way different than his.

Could someone provide me with the winisd file for the infinity VQ 12? Maybe it was something I screwed up when I entered the data into the database.

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
Here is the MidQ 12" SVC WinISD file right click and choose save as. Please note, I also measured various Kappa driver and verified that the provided specifications are within close proximity to actual measured specifications.

There have been a few people who have built these subwoofers. Here is one detailed review. Here is very brief review from a professional touring sound engineer with a few platinum records under his belt.

If size is an issue there are other high quality similarly priced drivers that would be suitable in smaller sealed cabinets such as the Eclipse SW8200 12" driver which has more linear excursion than most 15" drivers verified by Klippel testing. This unit in a 3 cubic foot sealed enclosure with minimum 500 watts or 1000 watts ideally and an EQ would result in an extremely high performance, compact, subwoofer as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only thing I dont get is the port lenght I get is 64.64" long with a 12.5"X3" port. 4 cubic box 19hz tune? how am I not hitting your 55" spec? a tuning freq of 20.4hz gives me a 55" port lenght and the cone excursion graph is spot on your pic in the simple 12" kappa build page.

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
The only thing I dont get is the port lenght I get is 64.64" long with a 12.5"X3" port. 4 cubic box 19hz tune? how am I not hitting your 55" spec? a tuning freq of 20.4hz gives me a 55" port lenght and the cone excursion graph is spot on your pic in the simple 12" kappa build page.
The modeled tuning is 20.4Hz, but when it was measured tuning was 19Hz. The difference is not significant either way.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gotcha.. thanks. reason I asked was when i input the numbers in from the infinity site, and matched them up to your graphs they were off, so I thought Idid something wrong.
thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts