Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking for a winter project, and need a subwoofer for my house. I watch 50% movies and 50% music.

A long time ago I built a cool box for a customer's car. they wanted to compete in SQ/SPL a little bit but wanted a great sounding SQ setup for daily driving. We ended up making a slot ported box, that the port was tuned higher for max SPL, and we built a plug for it that dropped in and changed the tuning freq lower for SQ. it worked great... so I thought today maybe I will look into this for my build.

I understand that alot of people are tuning around 16-19hz for HT, but what is a good point to tune a box for musical playback? I guess this is a good starting point, then I can find a driver that models out well for 2 different tuning freq's in the same volume box.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at the Kappa VQ12" single VC. I looked at the reviews and the topic from the audiolab guy here (sorry forgot the name/username). I would like to go with that speaker. However, I went on the infinity website and got the thiele p-rams but when I modeled the mid-Q as he did my graphs were way different than his.

Could someone provide me with the winisd file for the infinity VQ 12? Maybe it was something I screwed up when I entered the data into the database.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only thing I dont get is the port lenght I get is 64.64" long with a 12.5"X3" port. 4 cubic box 19hz tune? how am I not hitting your 55" spec? a tuning freq of 20.4hz gives me a 55" port lenght and the cone excursion graph is spot on your pic in the simple 12" kappa build page.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gotcha.. thanks. reason I asked was when i input the numbers in from the infinity site, and matched them up to your graphs they were off, so I thought Idid something wrong.
thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts