Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Could anyone give me a hand setting up this pro amp? I'm a little perplexed as levels seem too low no mater what I do...

Processor is a Marantz AV7200MKii. The pro amp for subs is an Ashly PE-3000.

First, for the input gain, there are 3 options - 32db, 26db, and 1.4v. Been doing a little research, but I'm still unclear how to select the optimal setting.

Second, in the Protea DSP software, there are a few different places to adjust gain -- front panel attenuators, mixer, and then in the dsp you can apply gain as well. Any general guidance here would be appreciated. Levels seem too low with the attenuator gain set to zero (which is max).

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey All -

I am looking for some help in selecting and designing my subwoofer build. Hoping someone knowledgable here can give me a hand.

Our basement has a wall of built-ins so traditional Nox Vidmate VLC systems are a no-go for me. Instead I'm going to be doing some heavy modifications to the existing cabinetry to incorporate 3 B&W CT7.3's and 2 built in custom subs. The room is around 750 sqft with 10ft ceilings.

As you can see in the picture below, the subs will go in the lower cabinet areas. These will essentially be cut out to the floor so the sub enclosures will be totally decoupled from the cabinetry. Options here include putting the subs on either the left or right area. I'm thinking albeit minor, the outside is closer to corners to get some corner loading so that functionally better. I'd like to create a 'speaker grill' that is essentially the existing door with the center replaced with wire mesh covered by speaker grill cloth.

The space I have for the subwoofer is about 16w x 28h x 23d. I would prefer to use that entire area to avoid creating a pseudo band pass with artifacts from the second enclosure...so I could build a small box, but the driver recess panel would need to be 16w x 28h. To give room for binding posts and driver excursion it'll take a few inches off the total available depth. I think we're looking somewhere around 4cuft available volume after bracing and driver.

I haven't purchased drivers or amps yet, so I'm curious what ya'all think. I was considering going with 2 Creative Sound SDX12's and inuke 6000dsp, but think started thinking that I could get 15's in that space too. Would something like an ultimax 15 perform better? Any other options? (That sweet car audio pioneer driver is for a visual only )

Given the amount of demo I need to do here, I'd like to get this right the first time, so any help would, thoughts, opinions be greatly appreciated.

Nik

9/2/16: Added the 'before' picture to OP
It's a pretty stealthy way to get things done, and I think it will work very well for you here.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts