Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my son just turned 16 a few months ago and we been looking to get him his first car. Living vicarously, I went a head and bought him a 1970 Chevelle last weekend and surprised him with it on Saturday. Well my son is happy but I think the wife is gonna kill me... :D

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
It looks to be in great shape, is it all original or has it been rebuilt?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The previous owner (a lady) did put alot of work into it but there is still alot to be done. Again I'll have to wait for it to be inspected to say for sure though.

It has a new 350 engine with less then 2k miles on it, new drivetrain and a rebuilt 70 transmission. Underneath, floorpans and trunk appear to be rust free but there is some bubbling in lower rear quarter panel and a small dent on the oneside, although I think this looks it can be popped out without causing any marks.

Interior is also new including new seats, carpets & headliner but the headliner looks like . Everything electrical on the dash looks like someone didnt know what they were doing, so I think this will all have to be redone.

It sounds & runs great though.... :)

Couple of other dislikes, she also had a new dual exhaust put in but the pipes come out the side before the rear tires. Besides disliking the look it makes it very loud behind the passengers, plus sits very low to the ground, so low that I couldnt even put it thru the carwash.

Also it has disc brakes and although there doesnt seem to be anything wrong with it Im considering what it may take to convert to disc.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Couple of other dislikes, she also had a new dual exhaust put in but the pipes come out the side before the rear tires. Besides disliking the look it makes it very loud behind the passengers, plus sits very low to the ground, so low that I couldnt even put it thru the carwash.
That is odd, But I would say all reparable. Good find in my opinion.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. Well its certainly eating into the wallet already :)
It was in the garage for inspection for about 3 weeks & I just got it back last week, I think the mechanic kept pushing it behind all his other work, knowing it wasnt a primary car. Considering the car probably hasnt had an inspection in decades, it wasnt too bad. It needed some bushings replaced and the brake drums recut but thats normal wear & tear. Besides that the majority of the work was fixing the steering column & electronics, whoever previously did the work really butchered it and bypassed just about everything. The work came to $1,600 and although thats a chunk I was just hoping it wasnt worse.

The windshield also seems to be [email protected]$$ed installed. Apparently they didnt seat it right during the installation and it left a gap at the top that they tried to seal with some type of caulking, resulting in it leaking right through when it rains. Due to a couple of road chips in the window, it doesnt pay to have the same window re-installed correctly, so next step is getting a new windshield.

I already stole the car for a few trips to work (60 miles each way) and wow does that thing eat up gas, a round trip is eating up an entire tank. I guess that will prevent me from taking his car to much :bigsmile:

Teaching my son to drive in it has been funny, the car gets to much attention. He's only had about 5 hours of driving so far and random cars honking at him just to wave scares the out of him. :yikes:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pretty much, unless the tank is just larger then I think (the gas gauge is sticking so Im not sure - mechanic forgot to fix it even though that was on my requested list). I know I filled it that morning and that night it took another $25 worth of gas.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
if it has just a 2 barrel there is not much that can be done about the fuel economy however if its a 4 as long as you dont have a lead foot going easy on the gas will save you a fair bit of cash. Make sure the air filter is always clean and gives the carb good airflow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts