Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...I need to purchase a new coffee maker and am wanting an all in one grind and brew. Thinking about trying the newest Capresso.

Anybody by chance have this one or have tried the brand?

Thanks.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope...everybody's out of stock around here.

It's kinda been put on the back burner for now. Found a house we like and hopefully will be moving soon. Also, I've been checking out used super-automatics on ebay. Can't afford 'em new ($2000)

But I did get a FABULOUS coffee maker for Christmas that I'm loving. The Aerobie Aeropress makes the best coffee I've ever had. It's more work for sure, but the coffee is outstanding. The secret is in the lower brew temperature and pressure brewing.

Highly recommended. One caveat....you typically use more beans than you would for an equivalent amount in a drip machine. So it can get expensive...especially when you drink a Kona or Jamaican Blue or something like that. You can use less, but it's not as rich.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey, did you pick this one up? If so, what do you think? I've had my eye on a Technivorm for a while but haven't been able to get my old maker to die...

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.technivorm.php
I have the Technivorm Moccamaster with the Glass carafe......I bought it cause our old maker was leaking and I was sick of buying coffee makers that lasted a year or two. I also rarely drank coffee...didn't really like it...but the wife drinks coffee religiously....well after getting this maker...I drink coffee daily. It is a fantastic coffee maker.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
"Grind and brew"?!?! Haha, goodness, I'm just using the Gevalia coffee maker that you can get for $15 (+ a lb. of coffee) when you start a subscription with them. After my coffee machine came...I cancelled the order :rock:

I know I'm a terrible person.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the Capresso Z5 and also the S9, and I've been really pleased with both machines. They require a factory re-working every few years, but that's to be expected w/all the little tubes that can get gummed up over time. They make fabulous drinks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have the Technivorm Moccamaster with the Glass carafe......I bought it cause our old maker was leaking and I was sick of buying coffee makers that lasted a year or two. I also rarely drank coffee...didn't really like it...but the wife drinks coffee religiously....well after getting this maker...I drink coffee daily. It is a fantastic coffee maker.
And that says it all, doesn't it?!!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, I just go to Fresh Market and buy the beans, Jamaican Blue, and grind it there....you won't find a better tasting cup....
Bah!!! Coffee faux pas!! Blaspheme!

You should grind right before you brew....especially with a GREAT bean like Jamaican Blue.

The Capresso Infinity is supposed to be about as good as it gets unless you want to step to the big leagues with a Rancilio

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a KitchenAid Pro Line grinder but don't use it all the time...I'm a simpleton...what's a faux pas?...

Bah!!! Coffee faux pas!! Blaspheme!

You should grind right before you brew....especially with a GREAT bean like Jamaican Blue.

The Capresso Infinity is supposed to be about as good as it gets unless you want to step to the big leagues with a Rancilio

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what's a faux pas?...
just giving you a hard time:stirthepot:

From Merriam Webster:

faux pas- {ˈfō-ˌpä}-: blunder; especially : a social blunder
:fryingpan:

I admit, the way I've been drinking lately is slightly less than convenient---measure the water, heat it in the microwave, grind the beans, infuse the grinds, press through the aeropress, then finally add the rest of the hot water.

It's been a while since I've had Jamaican. My fav is Kona. Love Kona. My friend in HI just sent me some more from her farm yesterday:yes:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I knew what it meant...just giving you a hard time...:poke:

It's kinda of like tweaking in the audio word...where does it end?...

just giving you a hard time:stirthepot:

From Merriam Webster:

faux pas- {ˈfō-ˌpä}-: blunder; especially : a social blunder
:fryingpan:

I admit, the way I've been drinking lately is slightly less than convenient---measure the water, heat it in the microwave, grind the beans, infuse the grinds, press through the aeropress, then finally add the rest of the hot water.

It's been a while since I've had Jamaican. My fav is Kona. Love Kona. My friend in HI just sent me some more from her farm yesterday:yes:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I knew what it meant...just giving you a hard time...:poke:

It's kinda of like tweaking in the audio word...where does it end?...
D'oh!! You got me there, hehe:fryingpan: Yes....the tweaking never ends....I need to rush to the nearest universal 12 step program.:nervous:

Kona straight from Hawaii?....yum!:thumbsup:
Yes, is it GREAT! It's never more than a few days out of the roaster when I get it, too. I met her one day outside of Costco in Kona....she was selling her coffee out of her truck for $10/lb!!! Over the years, she's purchased her own commercial roaster, and her prices have gone up a bit ($20/lb) but it's still less than half what I'd pay for Kona anywhere else and I know it's fresh. Plus I like getting it directly from the farmer. She also harvests her own white honey....yummmm

·
Registered
164 Posts
Um, this is considered taunting without links to her web site. Don't worry, none of us will tell anyone else. It would be our little secret. Besides, you could probably do a group buy once a quarter and she could give you a discount!

Yes, is it GREAT! It's never more than a few days out of the roaster when I get it, too. I met her one day outside of Costco in Kona....she was selling her coffee out of her truck for $10/lb!!! Over the years, she's purchased her own commercial roaster, and her prices have gone up a bit ($20/lb) but it's still less than half what I'd pay for Kona anywhere else and I know it's fresh. Plus I like getting it directly from the farmer. She also harvests her own white honey....yummmm

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Um, this is considered taunting without links to her web site. Don't worry, none of us will tell anyone else. It would be our little secret. Besides, you could probably do a group buy once a quarter and she could give you a discount!
lol...she doesn't really have a site. She used to, but didn't really use it, now it's not there.

This is not meant to sound like a knock on her, but folks who live out there (especially in the more rural areas) don't operate like we do here....particularly for mom and pop type outfits. Laid back is not exactly the right term.....

On the Big Island, when the weather service issues a high surf warning, a good 25%+ of the workforce calls in sick (sometimes doesn't call in at all) to go surfing. Their business sense isn't as focused as what we're used to seeing here. Consequently she is sometimes difficult to reach.....It's not uncommon for it to take several days to catch her on the phone. She doesn't even use email.

She always sends me my coffee though when I send her a check.

Next time I catch her on the phone, I'll ask her how she'd prefer I send referrals her way.

·
Registered
164 Posts
That's actually what most of us aspire to some day, right? Doing what we love and being present in the moment. Surfs up? My coffee orders will be here tomorrow but the waves might not be. Sounds nice.

I've been using Pete's Coffee from San Diego which is FINALLY available in my local grocery store. I'm pretty happy with it for my everyday coffee. I can't drink Starburn's coffee any more. They really over roast their beans...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts