Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Django1, that looks NICE!!! Details please????

The Technivorm is everything the reviews say it is. It makes silky smooth, flavorful coffee without a hint of harshness. The ease of use is exemplary...I was a bit worried about it not being an automatic, but that isn't an issue at all. They have two features that make this easy: there is an on/off switch activated when you place the carafe under the drip basket so you can get everything queued up in advance and just bump the carafe all the way in when you are ready to go. It also has a small drip switch that you can use to keep it from dripping once you pull the carafe out.

They have covered all the little details very well with the design. The drip head is cast metal (brass?) and holds heat very well, there is a cover for the brewing basket to hold the heat in, the carafe keeps the coffee at brew temperature very well, etc. The design is clearly well thought through and while simple comes across as "right" (less is more in this European design).

My only complaint is the 8 cup size. I should have purchased the 10 cup model but didn't think I would like the very tall design. I have ordered a second matching carafe as the brew time is fairly short and it will be easy to keep a second pot "on" when friends/family are over.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the Technivorm!
Cool....that's supposed to be pretty much top of the line for a drip machine. How do you think it compares cup wise to the aeropress?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Cool....that's supposed to be pretty much top of the line for a drip machine. How do you think it compares cup wise to the aeropress?
Honestly, I have been enjoying it so much I haven't tried the Aeropress yet! I guess that says a lot!

However, I am convinced that no drip can ever truly match a French Press, and the Aeropress seems to be the top of the FP, so I believe it may actually win the contest (and not just a "price adjusted" contest: at 10% the price, that is a given). I will post my impressions later on...

I had resorted to just getting a French Roast with my previous coffee maker. Now I am going to be trying all the nice beans/roasts again!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Actually the aeropress isn't a true french press. There are a couple differences..

1)aeropress uses a paper filter so sediment is reduced to almost nothing

2)it brews in a concentrate, and then you add water to dilute to taste. This way, you eliminate over-extracting your grinds.

I just love the aeropress, although it's not the most convenient way to brew a cup. Also, I find it works best for 1-2 cups at a time, so it can get very repetitive...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nope...everybody's out of stock around here.

It's kinda been put on the back burner for now. Found a house we like and hopefully will be moving soon. Also, I've been checking out used super-automatics on ebay. Can't afford 'em new ($2000)

But I did get a FABULOUS coffee maker for Christmas that I'm loving. The Aerobie Aeropress makes the best coffee I've ever had. It's more work for sure, but the coffee is outstanding. The secret is in the lower brew temperature and pressure brewing.

Highly recommended. One caveat....you typically use more beans than you would for an equivalent amount in a drip machine. So it can get expensive...especially when you drink a Kona or Jamaican Blue or something like that. You can use less, but it's not as rich.
Love my Aeropress, and have basically made it my "default" brewer at home.
I have 2 ChemX, a Bodum vacpot, an old Saeco espresso machine, a French press, etc, but the Aero is simple as mud to use & the results are outstanding.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pay attention to EspressoWorks All-In-One Barista Bundle Set coffee maker. Several years ago I went to Italy and became addicted to pure Italian espresso. So, I bought this machine and use it every day. Every morning I brew a cup of espresso and my morning becomes a little bit better. And I would say, that I prefer my coffee over those from the coffee houses, that’s why I would recommend this machine to you. Don’t spend your money on coffee shops and make your own fresh-brewed coffee every day.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts