Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I spent the bulk of yesterday going over my setup with a fine tooth comb and validating my methods by calibrating my Type 1 mics and comparing my results with that of a few other NIST-traceable labs. I don't know what's going on with the Dayton factory curves, but I'm convinced that my results are correct - the alternative is that the factory curve is correct and West Caldwll Labs, Scantek and Modal Shop have the exact same error in their methodologies.

So I'm pulling the trigger: introducing CSL calibrated UMM-6 Basic+ microphones - 0/45/90 degree correction curves, $90 USD + shipping. HTS members get the normal $5 perpetual discount and the additional $5 "gratitude" discount which I will extend to December 24 given the short notice.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That's cool news!

I suppose it will but wanted to make sure this will work with REW? How low will it realistically measure down to accurately?

How do I go about getting the HTS discount?

Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
That's cool news!

I suppose it will but wanted to make sure this will work with REW? How low will it realistically measure down to accurately?
It does work with REW. With the cal curve you should be able to measure down to 5 Hz, but there will be a number of other factors that will effect how low you can actually go in your application.

How do I go about getting the HTS discount?
Place an order and on the PayPal page there will be a box that says "Instructions to merchant" - in that box, leave your HTS username and I'll refund the $10.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

since I'm new to this forum I can't post links
But while searching for a USB measurment mic, I also found
a new USB measurment mic series (real 1/2" capsule compatible with Bruel&Kjaer etc.) from Dr-Jordan-Design.
They also offer a package with this mic and their analysis software including room acoutic measurement at Ebay
From dayton there is a similar package, but their mic and software seems less powerful.
Any comments to compare these packages? Basically I want to optimize my room acoustics
And I'm looking for a simple to use system. These USB mics seems the right way. Since cabling is much easier and I do not need to worry about phantompower and it is always calibrated.

Alex

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Hello,

since I'm new to this forum I can't post links
But while searching for a USB measurment mic, I also found
a new USB measurment mic series (real 1/2" capsule compatible with Bruel&Kjaer etc.) from Dr-Jordan-Design.
They also offer a package with this mic and their analysis software including room acoutic measurement at Ebay
From dayton there is a similar package, but their mic and software seems less powerful.
Any comments to compare these packages? Basically I want to optimize my room acoustics
And I'm looking for a simple to use system. These USB mics seems the right way. Since cabling is much easier and I do not need to worry about phantompower and it is always calibrated.

Alex
Are you talking about this or this? Those products will work fine (likely better) than the Dayton systems, but those are professional tools and you'll be paying professional prices, especially since you'll need to add a mic capsule with the pre-amp in the first link. The entire Omnimic system will cost less than just the mic capsule you need for the system in the first link!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I mean the first one (silver module based) it also includes the capsule (class 2)
But they also offer a package including this mic and their software much cheaper

->You are here: Home ->Shop-> Software-> Non commercial-> Complete Audio Measurement System

It is for non-commerical applications and home/hobby users (like me :) )

Alex

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Hello,

I mean the first one (silver module based) it also includes the capsule (class 2)
But they also offer a package including this mic and their software much cheaper
It looks like a better system than the Omnimic. The microphone is undoubtedly better (likely flatter without a correction curve, lower noise floor, higher sensitivity) and the program incorporates a signal generator unlike the external CD solution of the Omnimic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Happy New Year all!

Just found out abount the UMM-6 mic at AVS Forum. I have a few of questions.

So with this mic the REW connection will be UMM-6 -> usb -> Laptop -> HDMI -> Receiver -> HDTV?

Before downloading V5.01 beta 10 do I need to delete the old REW version?

After V5.01 do I need to download ASIO4ALL?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Happy New Year all!

Just found out abount the UMM-6 mic at AVS Forum. I have a few of questions.

So with this mic the REW connection will be UMM-6 -> usb -> Laptop -> HDMI -> Receiver -> HDTV?

Before downloading V5.01 beta 10 do I need to delete the old REW version?

After V5.01 do I need to download ASIO4ALL?
Hi, it's Jason from over at AVS. Sorry I couldn't get back with you earlier.

You don't need a TV hooked up, but otherwise, that sounds right. You don't need to delete anything. Just install over top. Then simply install the driver after installing the new beta of REW and you're good to go!

Let me know if you need anything else,

--J

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, it's Jason from over at AVS. Sorry I couldn't get back with you earlier.

You don't need a TV hooked up, but otherwise, that sounds right. You don't need to delete anything. Just install over top. Then simply install the driver after installing the new beta of REW and you're good to go!

Let me know if you need anything else,

--J
Hi Jason, man you're everywhere :bigsmile:.

That is great and I already read your updated info on the UMM-6 on AVS, thanks for the quick respond.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A fresh newbie here, who is very happy to stumble upon this forum for I am in need of measuring stuff.

So, should I get UMIK-1 or UMM-6? (That German package looks really good, but at almost 3 times the cost...)

Any opinion?

Thanks.

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Either should work, but the UMIK-1 has better support in REW as the sensitivity data in the UMIK cal file allows REW to show calibrated SPL readings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you for a quick reply.
Either should work, but the UMIK-1 has better support in REW as the sensitivity data in the UMIK cal file allows REW to show calibrated SPL readings.
I'm planning on using this Ubuntu laptop I'm using now, so the added feature on the 5.01 won't benefit me for now. As for the cal files, it would not matter as long as the file for UMM-6 is the same .txt format and I load that to the REW, correct?
I'm looking at the specs on both mics and UMIK-1 seems slightly better than UMM-6, though the latter is heavier built, but not by much. (+28 g)
Freq. 15 - 20k as opposed to 18 - 20k
Max SPL 133 db to 127 db (6 db diff., is it big?)
S/N 74 db to 70
$ 75 to 90
I think I got the answer.

Thanks you!

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and to digital audio.
So, is the UMIK-1 better than the UMM-6?
Most HTS users seem to prefer the UMIK-1, its specs are a little better, it is natively recognized so no drivers are needed. And support for it is now built into REW.

By the way, welcome to Home Theater Shack. If you feel like it, jump over to the new members forum and start up a thread to introduce yourself. Let us know if there is anything more we can do to help.:wave:

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
One aspect of the UMM-6 I was just made aware of - it apparently has a pretty high noise floor (around 50-52 dBA). For comparison, the typical noise floor range of the EMM-6 is ~30-34 dBA and for the ECM8000, it's ~ 33-40 dBA. The noise floor for my Type 1 mics is around 15-17 dBA.

In the context of the given specs, this makes sense - the UMM-6 is rated for a max SPL of ~127 dB with a S/N of 70 dBA (I'm mixing dB and dBA here, but it's okay in this case to assume dB≅dBA) which gives a lower limit of about 50 dBA. It looks like the noise floor is being control by spikes at 1 kHz and its harmonics up to 20 kHz. These spikes are about 5 to 10 dB above the "true" noise floor, so without these spikes, the noise floor would probably be closer to 40 dBA.

I don't know if the same is true for the UMIK-1 (I haven't done noise floor measurements on one), but the stated spec gives an output noise level of -74 dBFS, and that's about what I get for the UMM-6, so my guess (and I stress that it's just a guess at this point) is that the UMIK-1 noise floor is about the same.

It looks like one of the tradeoffs for having the built-in USB interface is a lower-quality USB interface. However, if you're making measurements at SPL's over 60-70 dB, the noise floor shouldn't matter. But don't even think about using these mics to make actual recordings.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts