Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 478 Posts

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I live here in the UK and am looking to do a diy sub. I have just sold my PB13 ultra and was looking at a dual 18" opposite sealed sub similar design to the submersive but bigger and more powerful.

What 18" subs and amp would be good to use so that I can achieve a better response in the lower hz and upper hz that will beat the PB13. Dimensions that I can go up to are 36" long by 24" wide by about 30" high.

Is this possible and what options do I have. I am new to this so your advice would be great. I have been looking at FI subs but am open to all options.

cheers

Graham

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
You've got plenty of options for 18"- Exodus Mal-X, Soundsplinter, the Fi- add a pro-amp of your choice with a equalizer, maybe Behringer dsp1124 and you're ready to build. Two of any of these with power should exceed your need:T At least that's what I've seen here... One of the excellent moderators may help out here. You can use winisd here to play around with modelling-it's fun to tinker with it if you've got the time.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right here goes this is what Im looking at.

2 x Maelstorm gen 2's in a sealed enclosure measuring 36" long by 24" wide by 30" high in a dual opposite configuration like the submersive run by a behringer europower 4000 amp.

Your thoughts please.

cheers graham

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Actually that's exactly what I was going to suggest if your budget would allow it. The net volume of the box would be about 12 cu.ft., with each sub wired for 4 ohms and each fed from a channel of the amp they would handle the full power of the amp. Cone excursion is not an issue, there would be no requirement for a subsonic filter. Depending on how much room gain you'd get you can expect 120 -122 db at 20 hz.

uk maelstrom.JPG

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mike

I was thinking the same after looking at the diy kit for the A7s-650 from ED.

122db to 105db at 20 hz isnt that a massive difference?

cheers graham

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mike

so what do I need to do to make the PB13 look tiny.

I thought an extra 6db was twice the output. Surely a dual opposite configuration 18" sealed enclosure would walk all over the PB13.

cheers graham

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Surely a dual opposite configuration 18" sealed enclosure would walk all over the PB13.

cheers graham
For real fun get 2 amps, one for each driver. Your destruction of the PB13-Ultra shall be the stuff legends are made of :meal:. . . Your grandchildren will tell tales of the "big speaker" that their ancester had built:reading:...You will pass go...You will collect $200...:yay2:

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi guys,

Quick question, How about the following:

Four of these drivers in a sealed box with 2 firing forwards and one each side running off one Behringer 4000 amp. It's a thought as someone over here on the UK thread is building a push/pull version with 2. I can get four of these for £200 less than the two Maelstrom Gen 11 drivers.

http://aespeakers.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=68

Would I still be better with the dual 18" Maelstrom's in a sealed opposite sub or would the above sealed work with the four 15"s.

The sealed box for the four would have to be the same and that's 36" long by 24" wide by 30" high.

cheers

Graham

1 - 20 of 478 Posts