Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, great site. I've been digging around and I'm trying to get a good feel for what I need to build my new HT sub. My room size is 18' x 24' with an open end into the dining room area. This is what I'm thinking with my very limited knowledge.

Electronics
I really want a 15" driver minimum so I'm looking at either Dayton Driver 1 or Dayton Driver 2.
Amp wise I'm considering a Dayton 500W Amp

Enclosure
This is where I'm a bit stumped as I'm not real sure what I'm looking at with the WinIsd program. I'm thinking the enclosure will be 18"x18"x42" with a 6" port that's 26.25" long. I'm trying to model it so it sits nicely with my existing speakers.

I'm trying to keep this project to around 400 bucks not including mdf and misc materials.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The 18"x18"x42" cabinet would have an internal volume of 6.3 cu.ft. Subtracting the displacement of the port sub and bracing would give a net volume of about 5.5 cu.ft. The DVC385-88 would work well tuned to 20 hz with a 6" port 30" long. The modeling includes the amps high pass filter at 18 hz along with 2 db of boost at 18 hz using the amps EQ.

385-88.JPG

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the assistance Mike. I have brought the mdf home and will be starting my project shortly. Should be fun.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Mike,
I think I'd like to go with the Dayton 15" MkIII driver and the 500 watt Dayton amp.

Would I need a change in box volume to get a 20hz output? What would my port diameter and length end up being?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Mike P., I don't know if you have already condsidered this or not, but I found it interesting.

The Tempest-X from DiyCable.com isn't quite as good as the Dayton MKIII 15", but distortion wouldn't be any factor due to the MKIII going over it's Xmax a little bit. The Tempest-X is well within it's excursion caapbilities, so distortion wouldn't pratically be there at all.

Here's the excursion graph:

Mike P. is an expert on this stuff, so I'll let him decide on this. I'm just a rookie that had much help and "training" from Mike. He is a very knowledgeable person.
The Tempest-X *might* be more expensive than the MKIII, but I think the fact that it wouldn't go over it's Xmax capaibilites might be worth the extra money. The Dayton MKIII goes over it's Xmax from 13.25hz until 16.25hz jst by about 2mm, so it might make a big dfference in distorton.
But, it's up to you and Mike P.

Hope I could help.

Edit: The Tempet-X isn't available from DiyCable yet, but it should be shortly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts