Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watched this on youtube and was impressed with how much excursion.

Would be nice if the new FI line was like this.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
393 Posts
its a neodymium motor, and needs the fins so it doesnt lose its magnetism due to overheating. the curie point on neo is much lower than strontium. it does look to have a large amount of excursion, but if thats a smaller driver, then things can seem quite skewed. In most videos 8 inchers with 10mm xmax look like they throw further than a 21" maeltstrom x with 38mm... lol.

But FI is well known to have VERY good quality drivers, and these seem to be no slouch, the weight of the driver helps me think that it will be a very strong motor, they said something like 45lbs, and if thats the case, my SDX 15 weighs 51, and its strontium, 45 pounds with a neo motor, is a huge amount of magnetic material. I for one would like to see the N1 as well, essentially the FI Q with a neo motor structure. And maybe it'll be optimized for a slightly smaller box than the current Q with similar output. (that would be awesome and worth every penny of the difference)

EDIT: After watching the video again, it looks like thats the 12 incher, so excursion is along the lines of 30mm, which is pretty similar to the FI-Q at 27mm. solid for a small driver, but it seems they manage to get the sensitivity up, while maintaining the SQ, which is a feat to say the least

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If that's the case then perhaps I've never seen full excursion on a Q18 driver. I've seen mine move quite a bit but no where near that much.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
393 Posts
If that's the case then perhaps I've never seen full excursion on a Q18 driver. I've seen mine move quite a bit but no where near that much.

cheers

Graham

A lot of these videos are pushing the driver towards its suspension limits, and are not actually realistic, i beleive the Q at suspension is around 80mm peak to peak. So it can look like almost 2" one way excursions. the distortion at these levels would be horriffic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts