Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okcokey, I have (hopefully correctly) calibrated soundcard and downloaded relevant SPL file, thanks for the heads up:whew:

The results are quite different, I now have considerable lower down hz v SPL, but the 30hz peak still remains.

Any comments really appreciated, as im still learning and getting to grips with the whole process. It really is good fun and furthering my enjoyment of AV!:bigsmile:

Many thanks

David

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Yep, that looks good now.

So, you have to work on the 35Hz peak.

The first thing to do would be to move the sub and see where the best placement for it is to achieve the smoothest response.

brucek

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, thanks Bruce. At least now im barking up the 'right' tree!

Will have a play tomorrow night and post back.

Thank you for your input!

David

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all.

Quick query though?

Once calibrated using REW etc, do I have the ability to turn the volume up on the sub during music/movies etc to gain more bass as I feel appropriate, and if so, can I just turn up the sunfire sub and leave gain on the B&W605's main L&R speaker active subs as they are?

Would altering any volume/gain on the sub after calibrating have detrimental effects on the hard work of gaining a flat repsonse?:scratchhead:

Thanks

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Would altering any volume/gain on the sub after calibrating have detrimental effects on the hard work of gaining a flat response?
The volume of the sub will have very little effect on the flatness of the subs response (as long as the sub isn't so loud as to compress).
Obviously, its volume will effect the flatness of the overall sub to mains balance.

brucek

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks!

TBH, ive had a play this morning with some music and film, and the sub doesnt need to be turned up at all, its perfect?

Im really confused because before the sunfire sub gain dial was 3/4 the way up, now its just above 1/4 and the bass is still as prominient, even better actually? Even the 605's have had the gain turned down?

:huh:

I geuss the REW and EQ'ing has helped acheive this? What a bizarre result?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far (without moving the main sub) this is the best ive got it.

The problem that I have now is today when listening to music, I can hear the bass drivers of the 605's slapping during heavy bass music (Leftfield style music).

I am assuming this is not good, and that maybe I should consider focusing on just using the sunfire sub for bass 60-80hz and under, and leave the 605's for the rest above?

Do you think this is the way forward before I start recalibrating? Its just that im sure I was getting the best response using the 605's active bass inc sunfire?:dizzy:

Many thanks

David

Attachments

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
So far (without moving the main sub) this is the best ive got it.

The problem that I have now is today when listening to music, I can hear the bass drivers of the 605's slapping during heavy bass music (Leftfield style music).
Sounds like some distortion. Does not sound servere but you may be able to track down whats causing it. First place I would check is the media player to see if there is a bass boost. I might also check by turning down the volume and see how/if the sound changes. It also very well cound be in the music your listening to. Alot of electronic music has that right in the recording for example.

I am assuming this is not good, and that maybe I should consider focusing on just using the sunfire sub for bass 60-80hz and under, and leave the 605's for the rest above?
I would do some more listening unless it is something you are sure is a problem. If the driver is being too stressed it can sometimes have to do with how new the speaker is depending on which type of configuration it is. Long throw woofers might require some break-in. With knowing more details it might be better to tell what is going on.

Do you think this is the way forward before I start recalibrating? Its just that im sure I was getting the best response using the 605's active bass inc sunfire?:dizzy:

Many thanks

David
Yes it is alright if it does not sound right at first. If you make up for the problem later by a gain in headroom or other factors that will increase it's performance the issue without the setup can be nullified.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the quick response.

The 605's are pushing 10 years old, so hopefully no questions of run in there! Just small 6 1/2" bass cones, x2 per speaker. They go down to about 23hz -3db according to manual.

The sunfire is a sealed 12" long throw, high back EMF, 1000w amp, and a massively thick surround. >18hz. My dealer thinks it could take months and months of use before its run in!? Its probably had around 50hrs to date? I chose this sub due to its musical credentials, I am aware its no sub bass monster, so not looking for awesome results low end, I am happy with its performance for my tastes

I havent heard the bass drivers slap that often, but when music/movies are playing that loud its difficult to pick out that noise unless close up to the main L&R? Yes Leftfield is heavily synthesized!

The kit is Rotel 1570 processor, Rotel 1575 2x250 amp, Cyrus CD player, Denon 3800 BD player. I wont bore with the rest as its not relevant IMO. The slapping was with Cyrus CD player?

So after that would you still stick with the current set up, and, then pursue moving the Sunfire in an attempt to flatten that 35hz peak, or try something else to flatten it?

Many thanks:T

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, now I have deactivated the 605's, set the crossover to 40hz for mains, 40hz for sub, phase remains at approx the same as before. Speakers positioned slightly wider again, and toe'd in towards listening position.

What do you think? :sweat:

Thanks. N.B my SPL reading is much lower in the 15-25hz region now. Is this percieved as a significant loss?

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
I don't have an answer for you, but wanted to give you a bump to see if anyone that knows will help. I am curious to see if setting the crossover lower than would be ideal, is a good sacrifice, if it provides a flatter response than with an 80hz crossover. I would think that a 40hz crossover would traditionally be too low for your mains, but the response looks much better that way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers Greg!

I dont think anyones bothered though:whistling:

I havent continued tweaking as I may be upgrading my speakers anytime soon, so chances are ill be starting back all over again anyway.

Thanks

Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts