Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to turn some car subwoofers into a diy enclosure. I want to go all out just baby steps at a time. I want to start with a ep2500 on mono and make an abnoxious subwoofer box with probably 4 woofers 400 rms each. What do I need to make that happen? what do I need in terms of a receiver. I am not so much worried about surround sound quality its for a dorm room. Just trying to figure out what Im looking for. thank you

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Nick. That's OKAY you're in the right forum.

First let us know what the subs are. Can you use WINISD (for ex.?) for modeling?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I havnt thought about that yet.. im moreso waiting to see what I can get a good deal on. im looking 1600 rms ported. I am moreso asking about what I need to make it work. That is why i thought i was in the wrong forum

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Nick,
Welcome to the Shack!! I see you've just joint.

Again, no you're in the good forum for what you wanna discuss.

I was under the impression you already have the drivers since you mentioned car subs. Since you don't ... the logical Q? would be why using car subs for you application? What seems natural to me is to use HT subs.
Any receiver will do the job as long as you have a sub pre-out. I see you mentioned the EP-2500, and that's a great choice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
actually hadnt thought about it much....... that would probably be an easier path. so if i were to use 4 12" ht subs whats the best way to do it? Was I right in needing the amp in addition to a receiver?

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
A receiver won't have 1600 W to begin with. The EP 2500 or equivalent is necessary for this job.

I believe there are many 12 inchers in the market suitable for HT application.

In DIY, the best thing is you can do whatever you want. So what do you want?

- 4 single subs
- 2 dual subs?
- a single huge sub?

You decide.

What are your room dimensions? what's the shape? A shoe box? That may help you decide.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I was thinking of doing it as almost an all inclusive box and use it as a tv stand...a large tv stand. Im debating now about possibly 2 15" or 2 18" subwoofers and then a little shelf in between for the receiver/amps/crossover/ then above 4 6" midbass then tweeter pillars or something. It made sense in my head but i dont know that it came out right.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
That's a better idea. I also prefer the concept of 2 drivers, front located, drivers not farther from 3-4 ft from each other to have frequency coupling down to 80 Hz.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont know too much about ht which was the original reason i was going with car subs. also from what I can call ht subwoofers get VERY pricey. I can get good deals in my area on used car subs and get the 1600 watts

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
I believe friends will shime in to give some advice about affordable and performant HT subs (I have been away for some time).

Hint: You should consider buying a driver with available T/S parameters in order to properly design the enclosure.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Most of them are :yes: Just check the specs to make sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts