Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the Galaxy CM-140 up here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. No stores here actually carry it in stock so it must be ordered. It cost $145 Canadian plus tax. When I placed the order (and had to pay ahead of time) it was the beginning of April 2008. I finally received it now at the end of May 2008. It took 2 months for it to get to my local store. From talking with my local store who talked directly with the distributor of Galaxy Audio products here in Canada, the delay was due to the Canadian distributor saying that they had to wait until they received a bunch of orders for Galaxy Audio equipment before they would place the order to the USA. They said they would not place an order for one SPL meter. You may ask why didn't I just order it from Musician's Friend in the USA. I could have but looking into the pricing further it would come out to be over $160 Canadian plus tax on top of that if I ordered it from them. Musician's Friend's website says $99, that is correct. It also says free shipping but is not for Canada. Shipping from them is about $32 by FedEx International which is the only option by which they will ship to Canada (I asked about using US Postal Service which is much much cheaper but they refused). As every Canadian knows or should know, is that shipping from the U.S. to Canada by any of the courier companies is to be avoided due to the extra fees (called brokerage fees plus disbursement fees) all the courier companies tack on. FedEx would add an additional $30 or so brokerage and disbursement fees so that is where I get the over $160 plus taxes. OK, end rant about that.

I hooked everything up and here are the graphs:

SVS PCI 20-39 sub only, no smoothing, no equalization
sub only.jpg

and then sub and mains (HTD Level 3 bookshelves), no smoothing, no equalization
sub and mains.jpg

This is very similar to the response that I had posted in this thread http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/3484-welcome-surprise.html#post25606 where I had used a Radio Shack digital SPL meter.

As before, I decided not to bother with using the BFD that I already own to try and fiddle with the response. I am happy with it the way it is. If I ever change houses again or change speakers and subwoofer, at least I have all the "tools" available to fix any future response problems.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just wondering, if any of you guys were me, would you use the BFD to bring down the peak I have at around 22 Hz?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts