Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been lurking around reading the forums lately because, I want to build myself a nice sub for my home. I have a 12" RF Punch stage II and a 10" Audiobahn sub that I have bought from some friends who needed money. I only plan on using one of the subs. For now. >: )

Today I purchased a 500w BASH amp from Parts-express for the setup. I'm trying to find a simple tutorial or something to get started on the box. I have no idea how much airspace I need for the box. Can anyone give me some ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Now you have the speaker/s and amp whip up a cheap box from some MDF and bung the speaker in. Maybe start just with whatever WinISD reccomends for a sealed box and go from there. Will let you relate the graphs on the screen into real world volume and also assess the amount of room gain you have. You can then model your "good" box against the one you have set up and see how much volume (dB not Litres/cu Foot) you want at a given frequency compared to what you are listening to.

And also, how can you not want to get that gear up and running and for the cost of a sheet of wood, some glue and whatever padding you have laying around get your hands dirty and practice cutting wood.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I'm going with the Punch. Here is what I found for the T/S Params. http:// tinyurl. com /5c3v3w
I had to put spaces because the forum won't let me post a URL.

I'm working on learning how to use WinISD and what all the T/S Params mean. I want to a ported box if possible. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
For HT You have a couple of options depending on what you want. 4 cu.ft. tuned to 20 hz with a 4 inch flared port 18 inches long will give you 101 db at 18 hz. Input power is 250 watts to reach Xmax and a subsonic filter at 20 hz is needed to prevent over excursion at the lower frequencies.

To get the most out of this sub, 6 cu.ft. tuned to 18 hz with a 4 inch flared port 14.5 inches long will give you 104 db at 18 hz. Input power is 200 watts to reach Xmax and a sub sonic filter at 18 hz is needed for excursion protection.

There is a hump in the response due to the subs high Le of 4.6 which can be dealt with by equalization. The SPL numbers do not take into account room gain which will vary according to the size and shape of your room, as well as by sub placement.

The 500w BASH amp is more than enough power for this and the amps subsonic filter should be modifed to the frequency needed depending on which box you choose.

fosgate.JPG

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet!! Thanks a ton. I'm going to play with WinISD and see if I can duplicate you results. This has been a great learning experience.

FYI my room is , and I'm just guessing here, 10x22 with 8ft ceilings also, wood floor worth noting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts