Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks, I'm new to this form of communication and hope that I can get into the groove, so to say. Currently, I am a stay at home Dad and have time on my hands to tinker again. I frequent the Goodwill secondhand outlets and am able to buy electronics and "stuff" to tinker with affordably.
Recently, I purchased a Sony A/V reciever and various speakers; Kenwood, JVC, Panasonic, Boston for almost nothing and set up a pretty decent home audio system. I have also aquired several other recievers and set up a sound system in my garage, where I spend many hours tinkering. I have experimented with filters and crossovers, but havent had a chance to start building my own amps and what not.
Are there any rooky audio projects that a person with little experience in electronics, can do without investing too much money? I have a solder station that I built and some tools that I use for electronics tinkering and such. What would I need, in order to build something that is close to, or better than what is out there on the market for a home theater system?
My thaughts are; Subwoofer design and good inexpensive drivers, amp and preamp circuits, and integrate part of a system into my sofa. I did see a web site that sold viabrators that install onto a couch frame, where they would kick in at a certain frequency, but don't know how to go about setting something like that up.
So, if anybody has any information or suggestions please help me out.
Thenk You,
dirtbike1us

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
DIY is a vast subject. From schematics to turn key kits, there are a lot of options with just as many price points. Take a look in our Audio DIY sections and you will get an idea of the some of the differences. Start a thread on where you want to start and we can focus in on details and budget.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:wave:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts