Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first post at the Shack!

I just wanted to share my new sub build with all of you.

I decided to go with sealed cabinets, 22" wide, 22.75" deep, and 87.5" tall. I went with ED 18"s, 4 in each cabinet, and I am going to power them with EP 2500's. 2 Ed's to each amp, bridged into a 4ohm load.

While the subs are on the Fedex truck I decided to install a dedicated power supply for the amps.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Hi Justin and welcome to the Shack!

Sounds like an interesting project and I look forward to seeing it all fall into place... good luck. :T

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are a few build pictures. The images are poor in quality, but they are all I have to offer. lol
It was great fun building them, I had my best friend over to help me build the cabinets.

Here we are, dry fitting the first cabinet, if you look at the second brace in, you can see the mangled circle, one of my other friends cut that mess, he was demoted after that. lol

Our semi circle set up. lol

our first brace, we missed by a long shot, the math skills proved to be very rusty, this one went into the scrap pile.

More dry fitting

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Here we are starting to assemble the first cabinet. You can see the mangled circle cutter, is still demoted. lol

almost one!

deciding on the next step

testing the baffle/speaker fit, end of day one.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Looks great!!

I only built a 2Cu rythmik kit with my buddy, and we had alot of fun building it..

One of these days I'll actually get around to doing the finish work on it!

Keep up the good work, and LUK how ya end up making out.

BTW- Keep the spirits up on Mr Demoted.

Your gonna need his help moving that around!! :D

m

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Test fitting the outer baffle

Adding the 2nd end caps.

First one put together! Wife approved. lol

Checking the finished fit.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks !

Starting the 2nd cabinet.

Cutting more **** circles.

Test fitting the 2nd cabinet, and no mangled circles. !

2nd one completed! and sanded, and masked!

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Awesome that the wife likes them as well!! :T

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks muzz, she was more excited to get them going than I was. lol

Here they are in the house, I am 2 amps short in the picture. And everything is pulled out in disarray.

right side.

close up. When I get them dialed in, I will post the FR, and I will use a better camera, most of the pics did not turn out very well.

yep, they are big, ugly units. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Wow, this is one of the biggest builds I've seen yet. When it gets cranking, I bet it's hard to breathe...:unbelievable:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks! it has been a lot of fun!

According to my messed up math skills, the maximum amperage to each binding post would be 22 amps, hence the 10 gauge speaker wire.. Don't know if I am in the ballpark there, if anyone can confirm my math, it would ease my troubled mind. :nerd:

·
Registered
44 Posts
First off, wow. Those are impressive. I couldn't convince my wife to get one 15" sub, let alone eight 18"ers. It looks more like something out of an SPL competition from some car audio magazine. Nicely done.

As far as your last question, if you go by the measured numbers that have been posted for the EP2500 you do get around 22A. He measured the amp into a 4.40 ohm load which actually yields a total current of only 21A. Your speakers plus the loss in your 10 gauge wire is probably between 4 and 4.4 ohms so you're probably looking at something between 21A and 22A at 100% volume. Those amps can spit out 92.8V into a 4.4 ohm load. From a current-carrying point of view, your 10 gauge wire should be fine, as far as sound pressure level, the structure of your house may need to be beefed up a bit. :) Also, it may not be real safe to have 92+V exposed like that on the back of your speakers. Not than anyone is going to be back there when it's cranking, but it is a lethal amount of voltage. That's part of the reason most of those pro amps use Neutrik/Speakon-compatible and "touch-proof" binding posts, because they don't expose bare wire. Just a thought. But is looks awesome. Downright insane.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
aktiondan, thanks so much!

Looks like my math was not off too far. :heehee:

I don't have any friends or relatives with kids, but my dog, is my primary concern with the voltage. It would be easy to fab a cover for the binding posts, and a good safety precaution to. :T

·
Registered
511 Posts
Man alive! Those are going to move a lot of air. And if it's not properly bolted down, your neighbor's shed I suspect. When can we expect some numbers? I am curious to see what those will do.

Great build!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts