Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm not new here but haven't really posted before so here we go.

I've brought a new home and have what appears to be quite a good spot to turn into a cinema, the room is W3000 x L6300 x H2500. I can almost use all the area, I'd like tiered seating and a baffle wall set up, this will have to be done on a budget and probably won't get underway for a few months, but I was hoping a few people may have some ideas on what sort of design would work well in a room like this.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
The biggest issue I see are the glass doors: they will let in light and over reflect sound and lead to brightness. If you want to make the best of the space, you'll want to at least put dark curtains around that area. I'm sure others will chime in, and there's much more I could add (just finished my own home theater build, 9 months in the making). Best of luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep those glass doors will be a pain! I was thinking of some heavy dark curtains around the back maybe down the sides as well.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yep those glass doors will be a pain! I was thinking of some heavy dark curtains around the back maybe down the sides as well.
I would also consider painting the walls a darker color, ideally a matte black (assuming this is a dedicated room), this will reduce reflections and improve image contrast, especially if you're going with a front projector. Hard to tell what flooring you have there, but a nice thick pad and dark carpeting would also improve the space.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
What do you mean when you say "baffle wall set up?" If you are considering a false wall, you could always put one up in front of those doors. I suspect they will rattle a bit as well. Is taking them out & completing a solid wall an option?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes a false wall at the front was the idea, I can't cover the doors as they enter to our car port, dark walls behind the curtains should be easy to do.

Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did up a quick plan, what you guys think? Any ideas on a better layout? I am thinking of putting a seconded row of seats on a raised floor as well.

Attachments

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
I did up a quick plan, what you guys think? Any ideas on a better layout? I am thinking of putting a seconded row of seats on a raised floor as well.
that looks to be the best setup in that type of room. might need some diffusers and such, but in terms of "which direction should I point it" you got it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks cwc329719738,

That gives me some good pointers. I don't think I have the budget to make pillars, but will have to put some form of sound defuser down the main walls.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Looks good so far. I would centre the woofers of the L/R speakers 50cm from the left/right walls for smoother response (fewer/smaller peaks & dips).

Any chance of flipping the side doors so that they swing out rather than into the room?

Also, can you map the left side wall: how far from the front wall to the start of the first door, end of the first door, start of the second door, end of the second door? Thanx.

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
From what I have been told... You need to be at least 4' from diffusers for them to work properly. Are you at least that distance from any wall? I have had them in a previous install behind my listening position (about 6' from the rear wall), and it was a nice improvement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys,

I only have a duel subwoofer so can't separate them, I may sell and get two :) as far as mapping the left wall, I can do it but it may take a few days to get to.

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts