Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! New to the forum and not familiar with 70v systems...I bought a house a year ago and it is wired with Bose ceiling speakers and an outdoor speaker. I am finally getting around to trying to hook it up (wife is tired of asking) and I was hoping someone here could help.

The house has two speakers in the living room for surround sound and they have their own L & R hookups, but the den, dinning room, kitchen and patio have a speaker with individual volume controls and one 70V hookup in the wall.

My question is, how do i hook up my TV to this...what amp do i need...etc.

Attached are pictures of the hookups and the volume control.

Thanks in advance!!!
Allen

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
You will need a special amp designed for use with the 70v speakers. There are many that will but you need to search them out. Do a search for "70v amplifiers"

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
By the looks of the picture the connection is an "rca" connector?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Ok, thats easy then, all you need is the proper amp (you wont need much for output power) probably less than 100watts and understand that its a mono system not stereo.
Just hook up the output of the amp to a speaker cable and attach an rca connector to the one end (positive is the center pin).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do I go about hooking up my TV to the amp or do I need to go from the TV to a receiver? I purchased a small 40watt amp from Radio shack, but could not get it to produce any sound. I ran rca cables from the sat. box to the amp and then used a split RCA cable from the 70V and COM on the amp and pluged it into the wallplate.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Thats no problem :)

You will need to get an amp that has a built in mixer (a small sound board) on the face. Or you can use your existing Receiver and use the zone 2 output as well if your TV is connected to it.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
unfortunately that does not support a 70v system the impedance is incorrect for the speakers on a 70v system and can not use a "normal" amplifier.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It did have a COM, various omhs (2,6,8 i think) and 70V for hookups in the back. I tried running an RCA cable from the STB to the Phono hookups in the back and used a split end RCA cable from the COM and 70v to the wallplate...but got nothing.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hmmmm, Im not really sure then as it should have worked unless the STB was not outputting a signal? Thats not saying that there is not something wrong with the wiring to the transformers on the rheostat or the speakers.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
you can send a line level signal from the rca input and just use a small speaker or even cheap headphones and attach the headphones to the wires at the transformer to see if you have any signal

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ok. Before I climb up in the attic and move all the blown insulation, I will see if it is a signal from the STB. I know the previous owner was using them when we were looking at the house. Just so I am 100% on the connections from the amp...see pics.

On the first one the cable I am using for the 70v connection is an RCA to tin ends...

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just revisiting this...it has been six months and I have not done anything to correct this yet. What a waste of Bose speakers!!! Now that the summer is hear, I would really like to get this working (like to use the outside speaker). Can someone take a look at my pics and let me know if that wiring looks correct before I purchase that amp (Atlas Sound AA35 35W Mixer-Amplifier) or if there is a better amp I should get.

Thanks
Allen

·
Registered
46 Posts
Allen,
The pictures don't quite match the radioshack link, but it seems like that amp may work for running your 70V house speakers. It most likely won't work for running both your house speakers and your surround sound L&R speakers at the same time.

If you take the plate with the L&R and 70V jacks off the wall, what does the back look like (pic?) If the 70V connection is an RCA, there was probably another location in the house that had a 70V amp, and this plate was used to feed it low level (non-amplified) signal. If there is heavy gauge wire (18-14 gauge) wire connected to the back of that RCA, it was probably directly driven off a 70V amp, the a non-standard connector was used (RCAs are typically only used for low-level applications). You can solder a RCA to speaker wire to connect to the COM and &_)V terminals of your amp in that case.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will pull the plate off and take a pic tonight and post it tomorrow. Ignore the radio shack link...I think I am going to go with the Atlas Sound AA35 35W Mixer-Amplifier..unless you know of a better amp at a reasonable price.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.