Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've got these 2 big boxes with IXL 18.2.2's in them 32x24x40 with three 4" ports at 25 in long for a 16.5hz tune. As seen here : http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...8-cubic-foot-ixl-18-2-2-build.html#post140239 (I think though its actually more around the 14.1 Cubic feet internal mark though, not 13.8)
Powered by 2x ep2500's.

Anyways, I've just moved into my new house and have found that I'm missing the near field thump that the subs had the way they were setup in my old place. My new room is 12w x 32l x 8H wth an L shape coming at about the 20 foot mark on the length. The HT is pretty much totally within the walls with the L starting behind the sofa.

Sooooooo. I was all gung hoe about the new 21 but have started thinking that maybe a better idea would be to get 2 mal-x 18's and replace the IXL's. For some reason my Windows 7 will not allow win isd to work but when I was building the subs, i remember the numbers being fairly close in spl with and edge to the mal-x's. I got the IXL's for the price of 1 mal-x so that made up my mind.

My idea is to either swap out the IXL's for the mal-x 18's and build 3cf boxes for the IXL 18's and place them near field or behind the sofa or something. Or leave the IXl's alone and get a Mal 21 and make a box to put behind the sofa, say 6-8 Cubic feet. (the ixl's can have pretty small boxes and don't need a ton of power) Power will be another ep4000 (which should do fine in both cases).

Anyone have any thoughts on this lovely idea :bigsmile:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an eq2 set at 14hz. One of the reasons I was looking to change the subs out is to have 4 18's if even just for placement options. Honestly I really want 2x21's but the boxes i have really do sound great and I might as well get the most out of them that I can. Once I find my Camera I'll post some pics of what the setup looks like.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is 2 pics of the room.

I could also make some smaller boxes and place them along the side walls. man I'm torn lol

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I could but I don't really want to. I messed with the phase a bit and I'm still getting 123db's @20HZ with test tones but It's not enough. I think my plan is going to be swapping the IXL's and buiding some new boxes for them and maybe if I really like the mal's, get 2x21's and just get rid of the IXL's all together. OR keep everything and have 4x18's and 2x21" and have a power plant running outside my house!! lol

I just don't want to go through the trouble of building 2 more big ported boxes only to decide I want the 21's.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm still getting 123db's @20HZ with test tones but It's not enough.
I don't want to sound like a spoil sport, but how is that not enough? What else do you want out of whatever new subs you build?

Are your subs eq'd ?

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
whats wrong with more? if someone has the slightest itch, and they have the ability to increase, why would you take chances and push things too hard? go bigger and relax. adding will only get more life out of your equipment and more enjoyment for you as well... IMHO

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ryan is exactly right. I don't want to have to "push" things to get what I want out of them. If it takes me four 18's or two 21's and four 18's? then so be it. I don't like to strain my equipiment to much, excess is ALWAYS better IMO.

Anways, I'm going to pull the trigger on the mal-x 18's next week and start to build the new boxes for the IXL's. 4 cf per box will do nicely!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
but of course! I'm going to paint my big sub boxes to match my wall as well as the smaller ones. Dark expresso brown.
Any idea what kind of charges I'm going to expect from ups getting them sent up here to Canada? I'm thinking around 220-250. I hate them so much for shipping anything over the boarder but what are you gonna do eh? lol

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've bought a few amps from emotiva and some other things with close to the same value and they nabbed me for around $250 for all the extras. I know it's going to suck no matter what lol.
For stuff like this, it really sucks to be in Canada. The only way around it it to ship it to the border and go pick it up or have it declaired a lesser value. I'm putting the order in on monday, I'll be the guy from Winnipeg :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the shipping is double what ups is and after taxes and duty and , it probably won't make a huge difference. Doesn't matter anyways because I just ordered them. hehehe EXCITED!

I'll make sure to post how much they nab me for, so others in Canada will know what to expect.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well it was $65 for brokerage, $54 for duty and $110 for taxes. Not too bad at all. I swapped the drivers tonight and put them through their paces. They really do eat up my ep2500's lol I'm getting an average of 2 db's less at same volume but I can turn them up quite a bit higher that the mach 5's could. So after givin' them the business, I'm looking at 4 db's more @ 20hz than the mach 5's were giving me. I'm very happy. I'll take pics tomorrow :)

Now I can't wait to get the mach 5's into some 4 cube boxes and let the BASSment loose on the neighborhood.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.