Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IB Forum members,
In my construction post someone suggested an IB might be possible.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-design-construction/13639-new-ht-project-construction-questions.html#post121549

I'd not heard of that before so jumped here and began some research. My main question/concern is that it seems to do an IB right requires quite a bit of work: modeling, software, mics, testing, etc. I do not have a PC (Mac-guy) but could get bum one from a friend. I'm just concerned about getting in over my head. Is it fair to say that setting up an IB right is a little bit extra work?

Thanks in advance. Duc

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Duc - (Aprilia pilot here)

Mike P. said it right.. all that applies to ANY sub. I'm just starting down the IB path myself, and was overwhelmed as well.. But when ya break it down, it's not that bad..

1-figure out where it's going to go - a combination of the results from the subwoofer crawl, what you have room for, and the desire to keep it up front will determine the location..
2-How big/how many - that's the same as any box woofer.. in IB, it's a matter of how much airspace you have behind them and some other factors..
3-Build - Actually pretty straight forward, simpler than any other box if you think about it.
4-install - here's where the IB is much more involved, but even the install doesn't have to be a huge undertaking...
5-tune - like Mike said - that's part of the game for any sub you want the most out of..
6- ENJOY!

I'm at step 3 myself..

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys (Aprilia = :bigsmile:). I was kind of guessing that and appreciate the confirmation. Now I have more homework to do.

I have, however, ruled out IB. I bought a analog SPL from Radio Shack today. Ran some speakers up into the future theater space facing them away from the 2nd floor living area. Rammstein at 90-92dB ~12' in front of the speakers with C and Slow settings. Inside the house on 2nd floor I was getting 60dB about 30' behind the speakers. Could sort of make out vocals and clearly hear the bass. I don't think there's any way I can sufficiently isolate the space outside the theater room from the 2nd floor. I'll have to go with sealed sub inside the theater and build up the walls to minimize sound impact at the 2nd floor.

Will still need to do the modeling and testing for correct sub placement. Will be back on one of the forums for help with that when construction is done.

Thanks again.
Duc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts