Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am new to this forum and am looking for help with my IB plans. My viewing/listening area is a basement with 7-1/2 foot ceilings about 12 ft wide and 12 ft deep though one side is open for another 20 feet or so. My main speakers are Altec Malibus (2 12" drivers with large horns, think "voice of the theater" size. they are 40" tall x 25" wide and 18" deep) The center channel will use the same components in a different arrangement. The 34" CRT TV sits above the CC and above the TV is my IB "Port" which goes into the back room of the basement. It is basically an open box with the front opening being 40" wide and about 6" high. My plan was to use two Dayton IB385-8 15" IB Subwoofers face down and firing into the box/manifold. I am somewhat limited by the ceiling in the back room so I cannot easily have a manifold on top of the port/box with the drivers being vertical and feeding into the top of the box. I plan to drive the subs with a high current H/K 100wpc stereo amplifier and us a FBD for EQ. My output requirements are solid, clean bass which integrates well into my present system (which already goes pretty low) and also to provide the extra LFE for movies. I do not listen at super high levels. I do not have a SPL meter yet so I do not have a good idea of how loud I would want it to go. So...... with all that introduction, are my plans okay? Any suggestions? Do you think I will need two sub drivers or would one be enough? Other options? Will 100wpc be enough to drive them to reasonable volumes? So many questions, sorry.
Dave

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
... I plan to drive the subs with a high current H/K 100wpc stereo amplifier and us a FBD for EQ... Will 100wpc be enough to drive them to reasonable volumes? So many questions, sorry.
Dave
I'm not an expert on subs ... but I don't think that a 100WPC will be sufficient for what you want; I'm using a pair of commercial subs with a 150watts amp and sometimes I feel that they need more power...so, I think you will need a lot more than that :yes: ... I've seen people using amps with a range from 500watts to 1500 watts to power their subs/IB's :rubeyes:

Let's see wht the experts say ....:bigsmile:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, Thanks!
I plan to get an external USB soundcard and a SPL meter/mic for my laptop and learn how to use REW.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
How nice! A spec sheet with all the info. It shows that this sub will take 100 watts in an IB setup. The frequency response graph shows 105 db at 20 hz.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/295-455.pdf

I should mention there is a better IB sub at a lower price. Fi makes a 15 inch IB sub for $129 each shipped in the lower 48 States and it has superior specs compared to the Dayton. With a Xmax of 22 mm and power handling of 250 watts, you can upgrade your amp in the future for increased performance.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/fi-audio/7840-ib-subwoofers.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems like I am good to go. I just need to gather the equipment and funds. Is there any issues with down firing these into the box/port? Most installations I see have the two drivers facing each other with a manifold. Would it be of any benefit to tilt them up at an angle so they are firing into the box at an angle rather than straight down?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts