Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok, I've finally taken the plunge. upgrading my polk Monitor series setup for an SEOS Fusion 10 pure build from Eric over at DIYSOUNDGROUP. I'm keeping my polk monitor 30's for surrounds at the moment and just building the L/C/R and then figure out how to build a custom sized set for my surrounds so I can have them anchored up on the wall.

more pics and stories to come once I get the parts from Eric

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
That will be awesome. Did you consider the 360 for that? I have read that it offers a little more high end for only another $20. I wish, I wish... There are so many things that I want to build right now.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That will be awesome. Did you consider the 360 for that? I have read that it offers a little more high end for only another $20. I wish, I wish... There are so many things that I want to build right now.
I considered it. but Eric didn't think it would make that much of a difference .. especially if I'm only using my receiver to power them. I may regret it, but I went with the 350

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
I'm sure they will be amazing with receiver power as efficient as they are. I look forward to the build pics.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure they will be amazing with receiver power as efficient as they are. I look forward to the build pics.
oooo, don't worry, build picks will come as soon as the components come (grumble grumble whine whine)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I second the "Oh man, I want to try those so bad, but for now I will have to live vicariously through you" comment.

SEOS is definitely on my to do list, I just wish the list wasn't so long :rant:

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the second half of the shipped today from DIYsoundgroup!!! hopefully a week from now I'll be cutting wood.

·
Registered
101 Posts
How big is your space for these? I am in the process of looking at speakers and trying to decide if I want to try DIY or not. My room is 18.5' wide by 30' long with 9' ceiling. I have never built a crossover but I can handle the woodworking aspect I think. If I plan on running all of this with my Onkyo 707 for a year until I save up for my Integra AVR do you think this is a good option for such a large space? What would this compare to in a factory made speaker? Klipsch Reference???

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How big is your space for these? I am in the process of looking at speakers and trying to decide if I want to try DIY or not. My room is 18.5' wide by 30' long with 9' ceiling. I have never built a crossover but I can handle the woodworking aspect I think. If I plan on running all of this with my Onkyo 707 for a year until I save up for my Integra AVR do you think this is a good option for such a large space? What would this compare to in a factory made speaker? Klipsch Reference???
I have a 12 x 22 x 9 space. for that size room you'll be FINE . the speakers are INSANELY efficient even on AVR power. oh, and they'll spank a Klipsch Reference with ease from everything I've heard.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks Mike, I figured you'd be all over it. How hard are these crossovers to build? Is there anything similar to the SEOS stuff on the market that I could hear in person prior to building these speakers?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Mike, I figured you'd be all over it. How hard are these crossovers to build? Is there anything similar to the SEOS stuff on the market that I could hear in person prior to building these speakers?
not hard, for the Cheap Thrills there's only 11 parts total and it's pretty simple, even for someone who's not spacially oriented like myself. this is my first time chewing through a full crossover build and the guys on the SEOS forums are MORE than helpful with advice and a watchful eye to make sure you did it right. just make sure you don't solder anything before you ask them "hey did I do this right?"

similar. Maybe the lanscalas are similar. This is always the curse of DIY... hard to hear before you buy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Did you DIY your subs? If I used the Cheap Thrill for my LCR what would match up well for my side surrounds and rears? What sub would I pair all that with?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you DIY your subs? If I used the Cheap Thrill for my LCR what would match up well for my side surrounds and rears? What sub would I pair all that with?
yes, I built twin THT's for the front of the room (so I"m in no way lacking bass lol).

if you wanted to the karma 10's would make great surrounds for the Cheap Thrills from what Eric has recommended. event the Alchemy 8's would do well, or the fusion 8's.

subs, pretty much ANY sub can work well with any speakers, just needs to be dialed in at most.

·
Registered
101 Posts
So if I buy 3 Cheap Thrills from DIY what else do I need? I guess I have to order the crossover parts from PE and either get 3 flat pack cabinets or build 3 myself? Do i need the kit from DIY or should I just buy all the pieces from PE?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So if I buy 3 Cheap Thrills from DIY what else do I need? I guess I have to order the crossover parts from PE and either get 3 flat pack cabinets or build 3 myself? Do i need the kit from DIY or should I just buy all the pieces from PE?
I'd get the kit from DIY... Eric helps with the front baffle, the waveguide and the compression driver so it's a little cheaper that way. even with shipping.

as for the rest you'd need the woofer and xover components from PE

probably some 2-way terminal buses as well to make the crossover easier.

then of course the wonders of MDF, some polyfill (I use cheap pillows from walmart) Tightbond 3 wood glue + of course whatever you want to finish it with.

Eric doesn't have a flatpack for this one yet but with the huge size even he said ti would be about $100 PER flatpack shipped to the door. lot of mdf in a 2.5 cu ft container. luckily it's a pretty easy build. just build a 26x17x14 box and you're good. toss in a few braces and call it a day

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Mike,

Have you receive your woofers from PE express yet? I got 3 of them yesterday from UPS. The packaging on them are really flimsy. The box says fragile but it look like some one hit it with the fork truck. Fortunately, only 1 of the 3 got dinged. At the magnet. I tested them out with the low frequency crossover circuit and they sounded all right. Don't really know yet because I don't have a box built. Still waiting on the rest of the parts from Erich.

This will be my first DIY speaker. Please share your build experiences. Perhaps some photos would be great. Best regards.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Mike,

Have you receive your woofers from PE express yet? I got 3 of them yesterday from UPS. The packaging on them are really flimsy. The box says fragile but it look like some one hit it with the fork truck. Fortunately, only 1 of the 3 got dinged. At the magnet. I tested them out with the low frequency crossover circuit and they sounded all right. Don't really know yet because I don't have a box built. Still waiting on the rest of the parts from Erich.

This will be my first DIY speaker. Please share your build experiences. Perhaps some photos would be great. Best regards.
yeah, just a cheap cardboard fold around. I need to test the woofers out by playing a 200 hz or so sine wave through them later. but mine look good so far. I'll test em out this week as I build the boxes. I JUST got the kits from Eric so I'l locked and loaded. just have to grab some MDF and setup the workshop.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cutting mdf tonight. made some cuts last night... lucked out and got 2 sheets of 4x8 3/4 mdf for $20 total which should be enough for all 3 cabs according to my cut sheet.

off to go make more sawdust tonight

I'm glad I got my drivers when I did since the celestion woofers from PE are now GONE!

only REAL decision I have left is whether to just paint the cabs or get some Duratex from Acrytech

1 - 20 of 67 Posts