Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I built a LLT for this very same sub. However, during the design phase I missed a dimension and the cabinet never met it true potential.

I am looking to redesign a new LLT for this sub. I have a few ideas jumping around in my head abd a few questions for the folks.

I would like to have the cabinet be a dual purpose piece i.e. coffee table/LLT. This brings up a question, I need to know can be addressed, before moving forward. Can the table top vibration be minimized so the stuff on the table don't tip over, vibrate off the table and a mirade of other potential perils? Is there a way to isolate the table top alleviate this problem? I want maximized sound pressure from this driver?

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Dual opposed will kill almost all the vibrations. Weight and bracing will kill most of the rest. Then there maybe a very small amount. Not enough to knock any cups or glasses over. I have had a few dual opposed cabinets and put drinks on top of the cabinets before. Never had a cup move enough to ever fall or anything bad.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a way to do it with the one? They discontinued this sub, so getting one would be difficult.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
A way to kill all vibrations?

if so then maybe. Use MDF, brace at least every 8" and double up on all layers. Before you know it you have a 200lb+ cabinet that hardly moves. That being said it will be some trial and error also. No formula for this unless you have experience when using this driver. My old subwoofer was about 160lbs total and did not move very much at all. It had a single sealed 21. It could vibrate a little but nothing to serious. I would be fine with a glass of water on top of the enclosure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts