Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :dontknow::dontknow:
I am looking to build my own media centre,(windows based) I have a surround sound system 5.1 which is powered through an amp, can I get rid of the amp and put some thing in the media centre unit, I take it that a good sound card is not enough to power these. Thanks John

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack!

Howdy jmoffett and welcome to the Shack!

Come on in and take ya hat off... stay awhile... :T

Sonnie

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hello John, Welcome aboard!

As for your question have a look at this thread and you should find some help there.
For a short answer there is ways to get around using a receiver but to be honest the quality is poor and you'll be wanting more out of it. You can go with a dedicated 5.1 speaker system that has all the amplification built in to the sub/speakers but they are usually underpowered and too small.

Enjoy your stay with us.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
First of all Welcome ....:wave:

..., can I get rid of the amp and put some thing in the media centre unit, I take it that a good sound card is not enough to power these. Thanks John
Why you want to get rid of the amp???? .... I think is better to send the signal through sound card to amp to power the speakers :yes:

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Welcome John. Yes, as Tony said, there are ways to get around the need for a receiver. Post in the Shack's: Computer, Home Theater Components and/or System Setup forums and I'm sure you'll get some good info and suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts