Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, found this forum looking for help with one of my RS850 signatures which is apparently blown.
As AV123 went out of business, it's probably pretty difficult to get parts for it and seeing as it's the whole speaker, it's likely the electronics.

I also noticed that Skiing Ninja is currently closed (shoulda ordered those crossovers....), so I'm wondering if anyone knows anywhere to get electronics for these things.

I've already emailed Legacy Audio (they emailed me after AV123 closed, years ago, stating they'd help service these speakers and oddly enough I have a pair of legacy's as well) and Motor City Custom Audio.
I also saw a parts order thread on this forum but it seems a bit old so I wonder if it's dead.

If anyone else has any leads as to where I might find assistance, please let me know.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Welcome to the Shack... I don't know the answer but hopefully someone will. :T

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. :T

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update, I was able to get a hold of Skiing Ninja, and he's re-opening his store in a few weeks. He indicated that he could build me new crossovers if I wanted to upgrade them, so that's good news.
Now I just need to verify that it is indeed the crossovers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Checked all of the woofers, midrange and tweeter, all good.
So it's either the crossover or the connection, or the wiring itself.. all of which will come out tomorrow when I have more time..

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Checked all of the woofers, midrange and tweeter, all good.
So it's either the crossover or the connection, or the wiring itself.. all of which will come out tomorrow when I have more time..
Hopefully it is nothing more than wiring or a bad cap. :T

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hopefully it is nothing more than wiring or a bad cap. :T
Sadly, the caps all looked good, no bad smell either, as did the resistor. I have to remove the crossover to test it though, which is a royal pain because that means cutting most, if not all of the speaker wires.
Before I do that, I'm going to check the binding posts for a good connection. I also need a better multi-meter for all of this as the one I have is a POS that I've had since I was poor in college.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bought a new, non , multimeter. I tested every component on the board and they all checked out.
All of the connections were good prior to removal which tells me that the PCB itself is the problem.

Ordered new crossovers this morning. Hopefully they're easier to install than this thing was to remove.

Now I have a couple weeks to wait w/o front speakers...

Hrmm..

I wonder how my legacy signature III's would do as front channels..... they'll probably obliterate the center channel...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts