Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I’m new and saying hello. Best way to describe me...love good music and home theater. Looking forward to learning and sharing here at HTS...

Computer audio system:
iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
External 2T Glyph 062 RAID 1 drive (movies & music storage)
Benchmark DAC1 PRE (USB from iMac to DAC)
Rotel RB 1080 200watt Amp (balanced inputs from DAC)
B&W CM-7 speakers
SVS SB12-Plus sub
CD transport (optical to DAC)
External CD writer/reader (USB to iMac)
Furman power conditioner
Adcom AC enhancer
AudioQuest interconnects and speaker cable
Samsung 46” monitor as display for iMac

Mini Theater:
Apple TV 160GB
Marantz SR8000 receiver
Marantz DV7010 DVD
NHT center, main and surround speakers
Powered Paradigm sub
Samsung 46” monitor

Best regards,
Chris

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack!

Howdy there Christopher and welcome to the Shack!

I am sure you will find all you need, but if we can help, just holler... :T

Sonnie

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Welcome aboard the Shack Chris,

Enjoy your stay with us.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Welcome to the forum ...:wave:

Just curious....Have you compared using the SVS and Paradigm sub on the HT??? Which one sound better??? :dontknow:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi David,

The SVS is far superior to the Paradigm sub in many respects (albeit, Paradigm makes outstanding equipment). I’m running four outdoor Stylus 470s on the terrace and the sound is simply amazing.

I just ordered the SVS to replace two Yamaha YST-SW100 subs that I’ve been running for over 10 years. One of the reasons for joining Home Theater Shack is to learn the best method for equalizing my environment. It’s hard to balance sound in a NYC apartment (and equally hard to keep my neighbors and wife happy with the output of an SVS sub). Any help in this department will be very much appreciated.

I’ve been looking at Room EQ Wizard here. All the info is very well presented – it just seems so complicated to me. I have my homework ahead of me – and looking forward to it!

Btw, I’m looking to upgrade the Paradigm sub with another SVS after I get the SB12-Plus setting right. I’ll probably try a PC series next time since floor space is limited.

Thank you (and all the team) for the warm welcome. So glad to be here.

Cheers,
Chris

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Chris, One of the things to do with the SVS given your in an apartment is to place something like a thick carpet under it so the vibrations are reduced through the floor. Obviously you wont be able to push it as hard as one may do in a house or the neighbors will be banging on the walls.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Tony,

Thanks very much for the suggestion. You’re absolutely right in guessing that the SVS sub sits directly on a wood floor. I have a thick area rug in front of the speakers in the living room - the rug is 9’ X 7’, but the room is 23’ X12’. The listening “sweet spot” is in the center of the rug. The main speakers, sub and equipment racks are all placed on a non-carpeted section of the floor (closest to the wall is 3”; furthest from the wall is 26”).

The B&W speakers have floor spikes that limit contact with the wood floor surface – there is no apparent vibration. However, the SVS sub causes considerable vibration with objects in the room (such as pictures and objet d'art). Since this also occurs in our bedroom adjacent to the living room, my guess is that our neighbors are experiencing the same.

After reading about ways to increase isolation and decrease unwanted vibration, I came across the Auralex SubDude(HD). While there is some controversy about the overall effectiveness of the SubDude, it may work for me (and my neighbors). A larger and more effective alternative may be the ASC SubTrap – this is not a viable option due its aesthetics and height.

We live in a Manhattan hi-rise and all the floors are poured concrete. Covering the concrete slab is a wood parquet floor (I don’t think we have risers between the wood and concrete). Some argue that a SubDude is not necessary unless the hardwood floor is floating (wood beam with subfloor construction).

So, all this leads me to the question: what is the best way to reduce vibration from the SVS while preserving punch, accuracy and tonal quality? A slice of carpeting may increase slide – there will be less friction on the contact surface between the SVS and floor. My guess is that this will reduce the overall effectiveness of the sub.

The SVS sub is not boomy and it’s not muddy, but there is considerable vibration in the room. I still have to equalize the environment and may rely on an SMS-1 or AS-EQ1 Subwoofer EQ to do this (the AS-EQ1 is not shipping yet). Since both of these devices are expensive, I’d rather have another sub moving air than more electronics in the signal path. Note, moving air is ok…not objects due to vibration. The SVS does have some room equalization built-in. I’d rather maximize my current potential before adding more external devices.

Any thoughts on the best approach?

Many thanks and best regards,
Chris

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome Chris. Have fun. Dennis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts