Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at different subs in car audio, hometheater, and pro audio. I came across JBL2242H. AlsoFaital 18XL1500 they claim they have nearly 2" of peak to peak excursion and the JBL frequency range is 25Hz+ I am looking for a good ported enclosure with a 18" sub x2 to use. Have a QSC-RMX2450 for power. The above mentioned JBL sub is used in a theater enclosure# 4642A . IF these drivers do not do any good, I would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which one would you recommend for a ported box that has good sound quality, similar to JL W7, that will put out some serious thump?

·
Registered
345 Posts
The drivers you mentioned will do exceptionally well with higher tunings, but don't have the extension needed for today's HT soundtracks. The high efficiency is a plus though. As Mike mentioned the MaelstromX 18" driver and would do extremely well in a large ported enclosure tuned to 14-15hz. I'd do a 2way bass alignment with the MalX from 50hz on down and one of the pro drivers for 50-100hz. You'd have the clean MidBass slam and the low extension needed......with two pretty big boxes.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No size restrictions, have a space 3x16 foot behind my hometheater cabinet, where my current sub resides.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The Mal X is a good choice for solid performance down well below 20hz.

The Faital 18XL1500 is not chopped liver Mike and it's cheaper than a Mal-X :foottap:. I've been looking at it lately. It may not be great for <20hz HT effects but if you keep it above 25hz it'll cave your chest in.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What I am really curious is the correct information to: "What in the recording industry is actually below 20HZ. Do most recordings such as movies and music usually have all frequencies below 20Hz get cut from the mix? Is all that is generated below that actually a after-efect made by either low porting, or the use of passive radiators? This info would be greatly appreciated, this is something I have been contimplating.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have had this discussion with alot of people in the electronic stores, but I never could get any intelligent answers, thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just checked the low bass data on the movie"The Day The Earth Stood Still", and WOW! I thought it went pretty low but not that much! On another question, the Maelstrom- what kind of power is the 2.5" voice coil actually able to take at these frequencies, and also the cones excursion?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Mal-X is a 3" vc actually.

Hmmmm. They have increased the price back up. There musta been a pre sale or something. Accordian surround does not necessarily mean short throw anymore. There are drivers with 20mm xmax and accordian surrounds now.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another thing I noticed when I looked at the specs on JBL2242H, the one way excursion was 9mm. Then they list max excursion at 50mm before damage-two inches. That is alot more than 9mm one way, 18mm peak to peak. Thats like 2.5 the x-max rating listed. Do they stay conservative on the 9mm rating, or is the 50mm-2" max peak to peak squeasing the life from it, so to speak?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts